Move sketch and failed pad.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keltel

Move sketch and failed pad.

Post by keltel »

Hello.

I imported a DXF profile of a T-slot channel and would like to extrude / pad it. I receive the error "Failed to validate broken face." I assume there is some gap in the sketch and I have scoured but can't find it. is there some way to identify the issue? Or some other work-around?

Also, in this sketch the profile is offset from the origin. I would like to centre it. If I select all the lines, or even one, I do net get the option to move with Draft Move (greyed out). How can I do this?

TIA. Kel.
Attachments
T-Slot-90x45.FCStd
(39.7 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Move sketch and failed pad.

Post by drmacro »

Sketch>Validate sketch...

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Sketcher_ValidateSketch

With these extrusions, it is best to delete everything that can be removed to reveal the symmetry, typically 1/4 of the cross section.

Then constrain and confirm that it is a closed profile and then use a Pattern to create the full extrusion.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Edit: after looking at my screenshot I think it's still not centered. You might need to apply the symmetry differently on different elements, like with some of the horizontal and vertical edges.

Just to add on to what drmacro has said, use sketcher validate sketch in the sketch workbench, find missing coincidence constraints, fix them.

To center on the origin, one way to do this is to add a point in the center, select all the geometry with box select, then deselect the center point and reselect it to make it the last point selected, then use the move function to move that point to the origin.

Block constrain the 2 selected edges first. This ensures they do not move with the next few steps.
Snip macro screenshot-480f49.png
Snip macro screenshot-480f49.png (80.96 KiB) Viewed 848 times
Add a Point element roughly in the center. Select the shown points in this order: upper left first, then lower right, and finally the center point, then apply the symmetry constraint.
Snip macro screenshot-035a21.png
Snip macro screenshot-035a21.png (74.22 KiB) Viewed 848 times
Now block select all elements by drawing a rectangle (not a rectangle element, just use the mouse) around everything. Click a point above and to the left of the top left most elements, then drag to a spot below and to the right of the bottom right most elements. Release the mouse. This step will take a while for FreeCAD to complete because there are hundreds of elements to add to the selection. Now select that center point again to deselect it and reselect it again to make it the last selected point. Use the move command (Ctrl+M), and click on the origin as the destination for that last selected point.
Snip macro screenshot-595bf8.png
Snip macro screenshot-595bf8.png (89.02 KiB) Viewed 848 times
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

keltel wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:05 pm ......How can I do this?
Hello keltel, greetings to the community!
... another way of centering the sketch at the point of origin or anywhere else
Attachments
T-Slot-90x45-2.FCStd
(476.1 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
T-Slot-90x45-2.gif
T-Slot-90x45-2.gif (967.75 KiB) Viewed 808 times
keltel

Post by keltel »

Thank you so much!
Shalmeneser
Veteran