Directories not visible in file dialog Ubuntu 20.04

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mrwolfe

Directories not visible in file dialog Ubuntu 20.04

Post by mrwolfe »

When I try to open a file using the file>open dialog, some directories are visible and others are not.

I'm trying to open a .step file from my kicad 3d models directory (/usr/share/kicad/modules/3dpackages), but the file open dialog does not show any directories under /usr. Files and directories under my home directory are all visible, with the exception of the local kicad models directory (~/.kicad/modules) that is accessible via a link in my home directory. Changing file type to all files (*.*) makes no difference.

If I type "share" into the "file name" box under /usr in the dialog, /usr/share becomes visible, but I can't go any further. The share directory is now visible under /usr in the file open dialog but nothing else, even after I close and restart FreeCAD. Typing "kicad" into the file name box produces an error box - "kicad file not found", as does typing "share/kicad" under /usr in the file open dialog.

I have tried using the native file browser by setting Tools>Edit parameters>Base app>Preferences>Dialog>DontUseNativeDialog to false, but the problem persists.

I suspect an obscure permissions problem, possibly related to groups, although the file permissions on all the directories in question have "other" set to "access files" (rwxrwxr_x). I have also set the group and owner for all the files and directories in the ~/.kicad directory to my user, but still no joy.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Directories not visible in file dialog Ubuntu 20.04

Post by chrisb »

I guess that is something in your system settings which makes the file selection dialog behave like this. You can try the non native file selection dialog. It is described somewhere in the Known OS specific issues.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mrwolfe

Post by mrwolfe »

OK, I have figured out at least part of the problem. FreeCad does NOT appear to like symlinks. I removed the symbolic link to my KiCad models directory and replaced it with the directory itself, and the files that were invisible before are now visible. I still can't see files in /usr or /usr/share however
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Try fiddling with this parameter. Tools menu -> edit parameters.
Snip macro screenshot-ee9c2b.png
Snip macro screenshot-ee9c2b.png (40.52 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I don't remember ever having problems with symlinks, what are the permissions for the /usr directory? does your user have read permissions for it, is freecad executed as the same user? Also check if you have the same issue with the latest dev version
Simonski

Post by Simonski »

Did you install Freecad as a snap? I tried this but I couldn't see anything under /usr when I was trying to locate a font file (under /usr/share/fonts), so I suspect there is some configuration/permissions issue with the snap. If this is the issue, I suggest trying an AppImage version of Freecad instead.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

mrwolfe wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:46 pm ..../.kicad/modules.......
in unix-like systems, folders and files that begin with a dot are not displayed. often you can change the visibility e.g. switch on in the file browser
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad