Oval loft?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Oval loft?

Post by chrisb »

Giterdun wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:47 am wow.. I've always selected all the objects under the body to export,
You should follow the IMPORTANT link above and read all the posts. There may be more interesting stuff among it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Great that it worked. However, the wiki should always be the first place to look for information. Exporting STLs isn't a nice thing ;) Std_Export
Giterdun

Post by Giterdun »

chrisb wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:19 am
Giterdun wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:47 am wow.. I've always selected all the objects under the body to export,
You should follow the IMPORTANT link above and read all the posts. There may be more interesting stuff among it.
Thanks Chris.. I actually have read it.. a few times.. but I couldn't find anything to help with this particular issue.. This is also the first time I tried to make a hollow object.. I also messed with it and looked around at posts and documentation for 2 or 3 days before I posted here..
Giterdun

Post by Giterdun »

M4x wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:35 am Great that it worked. However, the wiki should always be the first place to look for information. Exporting STLs isn't a nice thing ;) Std_Export
Thanks.. I always do look in the documentation for answers, but I have never used an Std Export. I've only ever exported as Stl.. I've also only been using FreeCAD since January, and everything I've made so far have all been just solid objects, whereas this was a hollow object I was trying to make.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Giterdun wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:00 am but I couldn't find anything to help with this particular issue.
Good that you read it, but how about this one? Seems to be exactly yours: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 64#p170906 .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Giterdun

Post by Giterdun »

chrisb wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:23 am
Giterdun wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:00 am but I couldn't find anything to help with this particular issue.
Good that you read it, but how about this one? Seems to be exactly yours: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 64#p170906 .
Thanks chris.. I understand it better now, thanks to markster's help.. but at the time, I had never tried to print a hollow object and I had always exported everything under the body. But even in that explanation, it says that if in Part Design, which is what I was using, to select the Body itself which is somewhat confusing. I did end up selecting the last part in the tree to export... ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Giterdun wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:13 am But even in that explanation, it says that if in Part Design, which is what I was using, to select the Body itself which is somewhat confusing.
It shouldn't be confusing. If it is, think about it until it becomes clear, because it is an important concept, when it comes to interaction of PartDesign and ad other workbenches:
The body represents everything which is inside to the world outside. Imagine you have modeled a coat hook. Or let's say I have modeled it, because I know my wife, who has many coats and wants to hang all her coats too on hooks. I will then use a Draft array to get many instances of the hook. I will the use the body as a base for the array, because I can then add more features and it will always be the complete body which is arrayed.