Align sketch / body and step part?

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keltel

Align sketch / body and step part?

Post by keltel »

Hello forum.

I have a design here with a body (padded sketch) and a step file part of a bearing. On the body I made a hole that corresponds to the bore in the bearing. If I apply an axis to axis constraint (A2Plus) the body moves, not the bearing. The bearing has property fixed position = true. If this is set to false the constraint fails with error "The highlighted parts were not moved. they are not constrained to a fixed part."

My hope was to get the two parts aligned and then I could use the bearing to help me add the 4 mounting holes. But when I re-open the sketch I find that the sketch remains non-aligned with the bearing, and when I exit the sketch the body reverts to its old position even though the constrain is still there in the model tree. I understand that the bearing is fixed and that the sketch remains with it's own fixed reference, but I cannot find a way to make this work with the sketch fixed and the bearing not fixed.

How can I attack this? Essentially I would like to use the bearing as a guide for placing the right holes in the body.

TIA.
Kel.
Attachments
TopBlock.FCStd
(81.83 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Align sketch / body and step part?

Post by drmacro »

There is a rule in A2+ that one object has to be fixed.

Remove the current constraints, to start again.

Select the Body, and use covert part to A2+ Image

(It should be back at the origin because you removed the constraints.)
Then set the resulting A2+ object property to fixed position.

Then set the constraint between the step and the A2+ body.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Align sketch / body and step part?

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Assembly forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.