Changing parts in assembly breaks constraints

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keltel

Changing parts in assembly breaks constraints

Post by keltel »

Hello.

I have an A2plus assembly composed of a number of parts that have constraints holding them together. One of the parts is a padded body with numerous holes / slits and another part is a shaft which is constrained to one of the holes (axis-to-axis). If I edit the sketch for the first body such that it has more detail I break the constraint which is between faceX of part 1 and faceY of part 2. It seems to me that when I update part 1 the face numbers change (as there are now more), thereby making a mess of the faceX faxeY relationship which now relates to a wholly unrelated new face in part 1. I would have expected that such details are automatically tracked as the design progresses and more detail is added. Is there a way to manage this?

Ta. Kel.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Changing parts in assembly breaks constraints

Post by drmacro »

keltel wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:28 pm Hello.

I have an A2plus assembly composed of a number of parts that have constraints holding them together. One of the parts is a padded body with numerous holes / slits and another part is a shaft which is constrained to one of the holes (axis-to-axis). If I edit the sketch for the first body such that it has more detail I break the constraint which is between faceX of part 1 and faceY of part 2. It seems to me that when I update part 1 the face numbers change (as there are now more), thereby making a mess of the faceX faxeY relationship which now relates to a wholly unrelated new face in part 1. I would have expected that such details are automatically tracked as the design progresses and more detail is added. Is there a way to manage this?

Ta. Kel.
Any change in the component will effect the ID of the attachment and associated constraints will be lost.

Did you convert the parts to A2+ parts: Image?

It should be converted and constrained to the converted object. Changes to the original will not be propagated and thus the constraints wont be lost.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
keltel

Re: Changing parts in assembly breaks constraints

Post by keltel »

But what if I do want changes? Say I have a complete assembly but would like to add a couple of extra slots to a single part - does this mean I must delete the original part in the A2plus assembly and re-fit the new one, including adding all previous constraints?

In my case I have a side plate with soles and slots for shafts, etc - this seems like it could be a lot of work if I just want to add a few new slots or move a few slots around.

(BTW dr thank you for your continued attention to my posts - you have been most helpful. Much appreciated!)