Pb. of interferring edges after shape creation from a mesh

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
heda
Veteran

Re: Pb. of interferring edges after shape creation from a mesh

Post by heda »

so have you reached your goal or not?
(which in all honesty is not very clear, especially since it sounded that you managed in the earlier thread)
if it is all about the same "task", imho it is better to keep it all in same thread

coarseness is something that is in your hands when you run the simplification algo / tidy the mesh.
settings can be tweaked to get different results...

as stated earlier if you goal is just to thicken the "sheet", splitting the mesh and translate it is by far the simplest way to get it done.
splitting the mesh took me a couple of minutes in fc (has to be done in a couple of steps since it is a convex hull)
filling the gap is going to be a bit tedious, but is really just taking a bit time and you will always be able to complete it.
have just done a bit, and in the squared off bit that is still a hole the "hole filling" algo of fc chokes, so more triangles are needed in that hole before it will accept closing it.
Snip macro screenshot-577d99.png
Snip macro screenshot-577d99.png (44.9 KiB) Viewed 519 times
don't get the holes in the file from poster, did not seem to have any holes in it...

why not attach the original point-cloud?
find it really hard to believe that the mesh to shape does anything else than what already is in the mesh since your meshsize is approx a factor 10 towards the sewing tolerance.
Attachments
MeshSimplifié-2-split-translate-fill.FCStd
(102.56 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
amarilisppt

Post by amarilisppt »

Sure.
amarilisppt

Post by amarilisppt »

Sorry, was not the answer to you.
Sorry if my feedback seems to confuse.
I managed 98%, til I tried to add the initial solid to the extrudated layer (series of lines of edges, as it was less risky to forget edges in such a multitude). The 2% deal with 2 locations where edges are interfering. That is why I wrote "success" in the other post, probably to early (but was very happy to see that the methodology you helped me to build was OK). it was before the boolean addition that failed for just 3 bad edges.
If no solution can be found for that, I will delete this part and replace the volume by another solide. But, I would prefer having a consistent approach for such a topic, in order to manage it for other scanned objects, as generally as possible.

I split this request from the other one, as I thought this concern is a bit different and might help other users who are not concerned by the extrusion post. But your feedback is interesting, if you think that is confusing.

Thanks for having reworked my file: I will have a look to what you did.
Best regards