Links go out of the allowed scope - warning mystery

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Links go out of the allowed scope - warning mystery

Post by chrisb »

I'm short of time: Expressions and thus references to spreadsheets don't create such warnings.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

It appears that most of those red arrows are due to sketches (or something unseen) trying to link to elements inside the body instead of to the entire body.

In general that will not work.

Gene
mantheakis

Post by mantheakis »

Gene and Chris, thank you again.

I found the main culprit: all my external 'master' sketches that were not within any Part or PartDesign bodies had been set with Attachment "Support" links to one of the three global planes, and their "Map Mode" properties were all set to "FlatFace".

After clearing those Attachment settings, and setting the "Map Mode" properties as "Deactivated" the "Links go out of the allowed scope" warnings largely disappeared.

There was also a set of "Links go out of the allowed scope" warnings related to some objects that mixed Part and PartDesign features. I deleted these, and re-made the objects using only PartDesign features, and now all the warnings have disappeared.

Perhaps having external 'limbo' sketches is not the done thing. It seemed like a good idea - having a set of 'master' sketches that could be used to 'bind' several separate objects - but it looks like I might have to re-think that approach.

Thank you for your time!
Harry Mantheakis
London, UK
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mantheakis wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:04 pm Perhaps having external 'limbo' sketches is not the done thing. It seemed like a good idea - having a set of 'master' sketches that could be used to 'bind' several separate objects - but it looks like I might have to re-think that approach.
It is a good idea. Use global master sketches outside of all bodies, and import them with a ShapeBinder into the bodies where they are needed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mantheakis

Post by mantheakis »

chrisb wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:52 pm It is a good idea. Use global master sketches outside of all bodies, and import them with a ShapeBinder into the bodies where they are needed.
Great - thank you, Chris, for confirming that.

Just one, tiny, last question: is it okay to set the "Map Mode" property for such 'outlier' master-sketches with a "Deactivated" value?
Harry Mantheakis
London, UK
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mantheakis wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:27 am it okay to set the "Map Mode" property for such 'outlier' master-sketches with a "Deactivated" value?
Hmm, sort of difficult, because "deactivated" means that this attachment is not used. However, you still get a "Link out of scope" message. So even in this case, you should attach the sketch to some ShapeBinder geometry - be it deactivated or not.
mantheakis

Post by mantheakis »

chrisb wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:38 pm
mantheakis wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:27 am it okay to set the "Map Mode" property for such 'outlier' master-sketches with a "Deactivated" value?
Hmm, sort of difficult, because "deactivated" means that this attachment is not used. However, you still get a "Link out of scope" message. So even in this case, you should attach the sketch to some ShapeBinder geometry - be it deactivated or not.
> However, you still get a "Link out of scope" message ...

It is the other way round - when I set the outlier sketches, the ones not within any bodies, with "Deactivated" map-mode property values, the "Links go out of the allowed scope" warnings disappeared. (The sketches were originally mapped to global planes, and it seems this was causing the "Links go out of the allowed scope" warnings.)
Harry Mantheakis
London, UK
tadeuszd

Post by tadeuszd »

Hello!
I'm new on this forum. I hope I'm writing in correct place.
I'm using FreeCAD from long months, but now I have problem I can't resolve by myself. A few months ago I started new project using FreeCAD 0.19. Everything was OK. But after upgrade to version 0.20.1 FreeCAD started to report many warnings "Links to objects go out of the allowed scope".

My project is very big, so I extracted only parts and bodies, which generates these mystery warnings. Because I changed labels to more readable for human, I attached original labels on the picture.
Positions and dimensions of elements in my project are fully parametrized with global spreadsheet <<Geometria>>. It was my first suspect, but others parts in project uses this spreadsheet too, but without any warnings.
After recalculating the project FreeCAD reports the list of warnings:

Code: Select all

23:00:00  Sketcher::SketchObject: Link(s) to object(s) 'YZ_Plane045' go out of the allowed scope 'Sketch047'. Instead, the linked object(s) reside within 'Part010'.
23:00:00  Sketcher::SketchObject: Link(s) to object(s) 'YZ_Plane045' go out of the allowed scope 'Sketch046'. Instead, the linked object(s) reside within 'Part010'.
23:00:00  Sketcher::SketchObject: Link(s) to object(s) 'YZ_Plane045' go out of the allowed scope 'Sketch045'. Instead, the linked object(s) reside within 'Part010'.
23:00:00  Sketcher::SketchObject: Link(s) to object(s) 'YZ_Plane045' go out of the allowed scope 'Sketch044'. Instead, the linked object(s) reside within 'Part010'.
23:00:00  PartDesign::Pad: Link(s) to object(s) 'Sketch044' go out of the allowed scope 'Pad027'. Instead, the linked object(s) reside within 'N/A'.
23:00:00  PartDesign::Pocket: Link(s) to object(s) 'Sketch045' go out of the allowed scope 'Pocket001'. Instead, the linked object(s) reside within 'N/A'.
23:00:00  PartDesign::Pocket: Link(s) to object(s) 'Sketch046' go out of the allowed scope 'Pocket002'. Instead, the linked object(s) reside within 'N/A'.
23:00:00  PartDesign::Pocket: Link(s) to object(s) 'Sketch047' go out of the allowed scope 'Pocket003'. Instead, the linked object(s) reside within 'N/A'.
Could you explain me what is wrong with YZ_Plane045 and associated sketches, extructions and pockets?
Thank You for any answers.

Warnings.png
Warnings.png (33.04 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Attachments
Warnings.FCStd
(109.34 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
tadeuszd

Post by tadeuszd »

Hello again!

I found the source of problem described in my previous post. Warnings are generated because of corrupted FCStd file. I suppose there is the bug in FreeCAD which corrupted the project during migration from version 0.19 to 0.20.1.

If you open FCStd file attached to previous post, you cas see abnormal situation - in "Property" window all sketches (044, 045, 046 and 047) are theoretically supported by plane YZ_Plane045. But it is not true. In 3D preview window theese sketches are anchored in point [0, 0] of global coordinates (see picture). Association with original YZ_Plane045 is broken!

I was trying to recreate this association by clicking [...] button and selecting YZ_Plane045 again for sketches, but it doesn't work.
Any ideas, how to correct broken project? I don't want to redraw it from the scratch.

Warnings2.png
Warnings2.png (59.75 KiB) Viewed 824 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you delete the Pocket003, you will see, that Sketch047 is not part of the body. Drag it onto the body to move it there. The same holds for all other sketches. If you have moved them all into the body, the warnings vanish.
Ask back if you need the file.