BUG. Sub object Shape Binder and external geometry falls apart when changed.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
koirat

BUG. Sub object Shape Binder and external geometry falls apart when changed.

Post by koirat »

After changing shape or placement of my shapebinder my master sketch that is referencing it cannot invalidate.

What I do: My final shape is symmetric on a few axis I sketched only a repeatable part created a sub object binder and than replicated it 8 times and placed where pieces should be.
Take a look at the picture.
SubObjectShapeBinderBug.png
SubObjectShapeBinderBug.png (44.59 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
Next I create a master sketch and reference external geometry from all this objects.
So far so good.

BUG happens when I change something for example Spreadsheet.A_ value to something else.

My mastersketch StarWheelMasterSketch can't invalidate.

See attached file.

Also if you know other way to do it instead of shape binders please give me some info.
StarWheel4.FCStd
(108.14 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
drmacro
Veteran

Re: BUG. Sub object Shape Binder and external geometry falls apart when changed.

Post by drmacro »

I got dizzy looking at the binders that appear to be unnecessary, :? so I simplified it and the spreadsheet seems ok...
Snip macro screenshot-e7e5e6.png
Snip macro screenshot-e7e5e6.png (82.01 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
Attachments
StarWheel4-mac.FCStd
(34.31 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
koirat

Re: BUG. Sub object Shape Binder and external geometry falls apart when changed.

Post by koirat »

Nice but I need it as a sketch or shape binder so I can further work on it with other sketches (piercing holes etc).
And I think there is still a BUG or Limitation in FreeCAD (If I'm not doing something wrong).

[Edit]OK I noticed That I can generate Sub object shape binder from it. I will try to mess around with it.[/Edit]
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

koirat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:44 pm Nice but I need it as a sketch or shape binder so I can further work on it with other sketches (piercing holes etc).
And I think there is still a BUG or Limitation in FreeCAD (If I'm not doing something wrong).
Umm...should be no problem making holes...
Attachments
StarWheel4-mac.FCStd
(49.92 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Snip macro screenshot-d9e618.png
Snip macro screenshot-d9e618.png (80.88 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
koirat

Post by koirat »

I want to stick with PartDesign as much as possible.
Unfortunately I cannot create proper ShapeBinder for pad from the array.
Fortunately I got this idea and created Shape2dView from this array it and than ShapeBinder from 2dView. And it was valid for Pad.

But is this safe, I hope I'm not losing some geometry precision ?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

koirat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:57 pm I want to stick with PartDesign as much as possible.
Unfortunately I cannot create proper ShapeBinder for pad from the array.
Fortunately I got this idea and created Shape2dView from this array it and than ShapeBinder from 2dView. And it was valid for Pad.

But is this safe, I hope I'm not losing some geometry precision ?
Why is Shape2dView or ShapeBinder needed at all?

Here completely in Part Design:
Snip macro screenshot-0876fa.png
Snip macro screenshot-0876fa.png (94.36 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
StarWheel.gif
StarWheel.gif (302.3 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
Attachments
StarWheel4-mac-PD.FCStd
(122.71 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
koirat

Post by koirat »

What version you are using. I'm using 0.19 on Windows. The moment I set A_ to something different I got "Transformation Failed" on MultiTransform
[Edit]Ok on a screenshot I see you are using 0.20[/Edit]