How to make threaded holes.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
M4x
Veteran

Re: How to make threaded holes.

Post by M4x »

The countersink is applied at the "starting" position. If that's "outside" in you case, start from the outside.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

rascalito wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:28 am

I wasn't aware of this. I did it because it's easy, click the face, click sketch icon, and you're in the sketcher.
It would be a great new feature to auto-convert it to a plane-referenced drawing.
There is a macro (actually 2 macros) that can be used to adjust the attachment offset to the new attachment. Usage would be: attach the sketch to the face, run first macro. This records the placement of the sketch into memory for use by the 2nd macro. Then you attach the sketch to one of the planes and run the 2nd macro. The 2nd macro adjusts the attachment offset property so that the sketch is now back where it was (on the face) but now attached to the plane with an offset. The downside to this is if the Pad.Length changes the sketch remains where it is and so could end up inside the object or above the face where it very likely will either fail completely or produce some unexpected/undesired results, depending on how it is being used. It is better to attach to the plane and use the z attachment offset for this reason.
Attachments
sketch_unmapper_phase2.FCMacro
(575 Bytes) Downloaded 13 times
sketch_unmapper_phase1.FCMacro
(529 Bytes) Downloaded 14 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Update: I tried by defining a plane inside of the part, and drilling downwards. When looking from bottom view
I can actually see the threads. Now how do I make a slight countersink? If I do it, the countersink will be inside,
which doesn't make sense. One method would be to drill a cone from bottom. A chamfer doesn't seem to be
feasible.
You could position a sketch and make a subtractive groove.

PDWrapper macro can flip the hole tool upside down to put the chamfer on the bottom.

Object with chamfer on top:
Snip macro screenshot-e979dc.png
Snip macro screenshot-e979dc.png (41.47 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Select the Hole, run the macro (installed from addon manager), select Subtractive as the type of wrapper to make and Hole as the feature to follow in the tree:
Snip macro screenshot-a07706.png
Snip macro screenshot-a07706.png (62.03 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Right click on the PDW_Sub object (pdwrapper subtractive type) and select edit placement adjustments to bring up the colorful, yet ghostly task editor:
Snip macro screenshot-dc4506.png
Snip macro screenshot-dc4506.png (97.6 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Uncheck the Tip Shape checkbox to better be able to see the Tip Base (Pad) and Tip Tool (Hole cutting tool) objects. The Tip Tool can be rotated and repositioned to cut the countersink from the bottom. In this example Tip Tool roll = 180 and z = 9 seems to do the trick.
Snip macro screenshot-e940c8.png
Snip macro screenshot-e940c8.png (55.01 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Countersink now on the bottom:
Snip macro screenshot-78f5e6.png
Snip macro screenshot-78f5e6.png (24.8 KiB) Viewed 593 times
rascalito

Post by rascalito »

Hello!

Thanks for your detailed explanation. And also for the macros. I will use them with care,
possibly by using a parametric Z offset just after using the macros, so that if I change anything,
the sketch will stay in place.