How to make threaded holes.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rascalito

How to make threaded holes.

Post by rascalito »

Hello!

I'm using freecad 0.20 with Ubuntu 21.10.

I want to make threaded holes in one part design.
I have looked at this page.
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/PartDesign_Hole
When the hole popup shows up, I press thread and chose M3. The diameter
is automatically set to 2.5, and I have modified the depth to 8mm.
Screenshot from 2021-10-24 11-34-55.png
Screenshot from 2021-10-24 11-34-55.png (65.25 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
If I leave it as is, that's fine. However, if I press "model thread" (checkbox which doesn't
appear in the documentation image), I get the following panel:
Screenshot from 2021-10-25 15-06-04.png
Screenshot from 2021-10-25 15-06-04.png (11.13 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
How can I fix that?

Now if I don't check the model thread, the screw hole (at least what I need to become
a screw hole) looks like this:
Screenshot from 2021-10-24 11-35-46.png
Screenshot from 2021-10-24 11-35-46.png (6.7 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
Is this a symbol for a threaded hole? I remember from a long time ago that the
top view of a threaded hole was a 3/4 circle thin line.

Is there a way to be sure that the hole is threaded ?

Thanks for any hint!
Willem
Veteran

Re: How to make threaded holes.

Post by Willem »

On my system the Hole function works well, so check the Sketch and its position
The line you see in the image from the center of the circle to the edge is a seamline from the angled drill point.
In techdraw you can adjust the hole with the 3/4 of a circle

My system:
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 9f2dd4a363053e87e1b1def0d005ed441d378796
Python version: 3.8.10
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: Dutch/Netherlands (nl_NL)
rascalito

Post by rascalito »

Hello!

Thanks for your reply!
One more question. Sorry, it's unrelated, but I just noticed that your environment mentions
Version: 0.20.
Build type: Release
But on the download page, the latest is 0.19.

That said, I'm using 0.20, but it's a weekly build. Where is the 0.20 release version?

Thanks
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Freecad 0.19 is the latest stable release.
Freecad 0.20 is the Freecad version that is updated weekly with the latest bug repairs and new features installed. It is mainly meant for experienced users for testing. Because of the bug repairs and the new features some people advice to use this version for everybody
rascalito

Post by rascalito »

Hello!

Thanks for your reply!
I'm aware 0.20 might not be very stable, but 0.19 keeps crashing on my PC. And that's not
once per hour, but rather once per minute. Open Freecad, make a few strokes in a sketch,
down! And everything lost. So 0.20 is better for me. Didn't crash for a week or so.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

0.20 is very stable - go for it. It my well solve the thread problem. If not, upload a simple file showing the issue.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rascalito

Post by rascalito »

Hello!

Thanks for your reply.
0.20 is very stable - go for it. It my well solve the thread problem. If not, upload a simple file showing the issue.
I have searched a bit more about the issue, and it seems to be related to the "reverse" setting.
Maybe because I try to punch a hole upwards from the bottom of the part I'm doing, not sure...
Anyway, selecting reverse does not output an error panel, but does something.
Screenshot from 2021-10-27 08-42-46.png
Screenshot from 2021-10-27 08-42-46.png (7.58 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
To summarize the problem: I want to drill holes from the bottom of the part, upwards.
How should I do that?

I have attached a demonstration. I have set it to reverse so that it does not output an error
panel. By the way, I wasn't too sure about what I should sent. Freecad also makes a zip file.
Is this right with the FCStd file?

Regards,
Attachments
HoleDemo.FCStd
(382.39 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

There is a bug in the Hole feature somewhere. Sometimes it only works in one direction. Workaround I used here is to move the sketch to the opposite end and make the hole starting from there.
Snip macro screenshot-65358f.png
Snip macro screenshot-65358f.png (28.17 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
By the way, it is not good practice to attach sketches directly to faces. Better to attach to the plane and make the z offset = Pad.Length. Reason for this is the name of the face might change (e.g. Face3 becomes Face4) if some changes are made later. If that happens then the sketch moves to another face or if the face no longer exists the feature based on that sketch completely fails. Read more about topological naming problem.
rascalito

Post by rascalito »

Hello!

Thanks for your reply.
By the way, it is not good practice to attach sketches directly to faces. Better to attach to the plane and make the z offset = Pad.Length. Reason for this is the name of the face might change (e.g. Face3 becomes Face4) if some changes are made later. If that happens then the sketch moves to another face or if the face no longer exists the feature based on that sketch completely fails. Read more about topological naming problem.
I wasn't aware of this. I did it because it's easy, click the face, click sketch icon, and you're in the sketcher.
It would be a great new feature to auto-convert it to a plane-referenced drawing.
Now I understand problems I had a few times, where a sketch is in a completely unrelated position.
Just to check if it works, I will try to make a new sketch on the xy plane (instead of clicking the bottom face)
and check if the threads work.

Update: I tried by defining a plane inside of the part, and drilling downwards. When looking from bottom view
I can actually see the threads. Now how do I make a slight countersink? If I do it, the countersink will be inside,
which doesn't make sense. One method would be to drill a cone from bottom. A chamfer doesn't seem to be
feasible.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This was reported recently, but I couldn't find a ticket.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.