power surfacing in FreeCAD

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
do_b

power surfacing in FreeCAD

Post by do_b »

Hello everyone, I am a beginner at FreeCAD. I have used solidworks previously. In solidworks there is one plug-in called "Power Surfacing". this tool is very handy to make free form of surfaces using nodes in space. I want to know that is there any workbench or macro available in FreeCAD ?
drmacro
Veteran

Re: power surfacing in FreeCAD

Post by drmacro »

There are workbenches: Curves, Curved Shapes, and Surfaces available in Tools>Addon manager.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
do_b

Post by do_b »

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of those workbenches. I am attaching a youtube video for reference so you might get idea what i am talking about.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz_r051pPQw&t=9s Thank you
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

mrdic

Post by mrdic »

Power surfacing is a subdivision modeller with associative mesh-to-nurbs conversion. It's closest to EMills' Silk WB because the nurbs surfaces keep tangential continuity across their edges, but Silk is nowhere near as automatic. The mesh doesn't have to be smoothed to higher degrees with the usual Catmull-Clark algorithm like a standard SubD mesh because the control mesh is a quad network that mimicks the smoother nurbs surfaces. An older version of PunchCAD SharkCAD Pro was available with a plugin that works similarly, a subD modeller with associative nurbs conversion. The nurbs models shell reliably compared to subdivision models and meshes.
do_b

Post by do_b »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:40 pm https://www.blender.org/ ?
blender and zbrush are very good software to generate organic model. but that type of work flow is very time consuming. switch between two software to just make small change. isnt it?
mrdic wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:38 pm Power surfacing is a subdivision modeller with associative mesh-to-nurbs conversion. It's closest to EMills' Silk WB because the nurbs surfaces keep tangential continuity across their edges, but Silk is nowhere near as automatic. The mesh doesn't have to be smoothed to higher degrees with the usual Catmull-Clark algorithm like a standard SubD mesh because the control mesh is a quad network that mimicks the smoother nurbs surfaces. An older version of PunchCAD SharkCAD Pro was available with a plugin that works similarly, a subD modeller with associative nurbs conversion. The nurbs models shell reliably compared to subdivision models and meshes.
But SharkCAD required licence. BTW great information. I learn quite a new things about computer graphics.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I would agree Blender (or possibly Rhino, I use Blender, never Rhino though...)

Editing organic shapes is not the forte of FreeCAD.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."