PolarPattern appears to work but not visible

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: PolarPattern appears to work but not visible

Post by papyblaise »

using the chamfer function, the result is excellent, and just as robust as a poorly made Loft
Attachments
drum.PNG
drum.PNG (8.24 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
drum.FCStd
(109.84 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
garya

Post by garya »

I cannot get either a chamfer or a fillet to work.
If I select a single joint, it succeeds. But if I select two or more, it fails with "Recompute failed! Please check report view". (BTW, I've never understood this message, since I have to be looking in the report view to see it, and there is no additional information there.)
PolarPatrn_1_Chamfer.jpg
PolarPatrn_1_Chamfer.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Set Refine = True for the previous feature when fillet or chamfer fails. Sometimes that can make it work.
garya

Post by garya »

TheMarkster wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:29 pm I usually save the fillets for last because they are quite fragile to topological naming and because they are fairly simple (if a bit tedious) to do. Another train of thought is to do them very early in the process.
Yes, that's why I was avoiding them. This is a cut down example. I wanted to experiment with the number of legs; so both the topological naming problem and tediousness are an issue.
TheMarkster wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:29 pm You can use a multitransform to add the fillet, polar pattern it, and then mirror it.
I can't figure out how you accomplished that. I'm guessing the datum plane is to mirror the fillets onto the bottom (I don't actually need or want them there), but I don't understand the multitransform to add the fillet. Did you create two, one on either side of a single post, and then polar pattern?

In the images below, when I try to add them individually, I have trouble -- one extends clear to the bottom of its leg, and when I try to add the 8th one I get a recompute failed error.

If I try to add a pair of fillets, one on either side of a single post, it fails for 2 of the posts, but succeeds for either of the other two. If I then try to polar pattern one of the ones which succeeds, in one case I get a "Transformed: Result has multiple solids. Only keeping the first." error, and in the other it appears to succeed (no errors) but the 3d display is empty except for a point.
PolarPatrn_1_Fillet_1.jpg
PolarPatrn_1_Fillet_1.jpg (48.83 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
PolarPatrn_1_Fillet_2.jpg
PolarPatrn_1_Fillet_2.jpg (64.54 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Yes, the datum plane serves as the mirror plane for the fillets on the bottom. You can lose the mirror if you don't want it. Expand the MultiTransform and delete the mirror. You can then also delete the datum plane.

Set SpoolTop Refine = True. Make the Fillet visible to see which edges I filleted:
Snip macro screenshot-88ac04.png
Snip macro screenshot-88ac04.png (75.21 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
The MultiTransform tool is very powerful, but it's somewhat complicated to use, especially for a beginner. Linear arrays of polar arrays, for example, would be more intuitive.
garya

Post by garya »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:31 pm Set Refine = True for the previous feature when fillet or chamfer fails. Sometimes that can make it work.
If I create a pair of fillets on either side of a single post (one of the ones that works)...
If I then set refine=true for the fillet, I get an image that appears to completely fill the empty space on either side of the post.
If instead I set refine=true for the "SpoolTop" feature prior to the fillet (after creating the fillets), then hit recompute, I get a recompute failed error.
garya

Post by garya »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:47 pm The MultiTransform tool is very powerful, but it's somewhat complicated to use, especially for a beginner. Linear arrays of polar arrays, for example, would be more intuitive.
Can you include the file you used to produce this? I can't reproduce it. I'm fairly familiar with multi-transform.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I already attached the file.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/download/f ... ?id=169634

I'm able to do a full recompute with this version, no errors.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.26155 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 0926a4148bcff11249fd4f56bc30256102ffe105
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
heron

Post by heron »

I've been testing your model and finally was able to make the chamfers with a pad and two subtractive lofts. It is a lot more laborious than with the chamfer feature, although also further from TPN, I guess.
Captura1.PNG
Captura1.PNG (57.66 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
#
#
I modified some things that maybe they are not necessary. Changed the refine to true in all features. Modificied deviation property to 0,1 or 0,05 in sketches and body. Deleted sketch "Sk_BtnSupport". One I consider important, sketch "Sk_TopSupport" had external references to Geometry of a feature, changed to external reference to first scketch "Sk_Spool_Base" to avoid TPN issues posibles.
Captura2.PNG
Captura2.PNG (22.47 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Attach the file, I hope it helps.
Greetings.
Attachments
PolarPatrn_1_2.FCStd
(248.76 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
garya

Post by garya »

@TheMarkster Sorry I didn't get your file the first time.

If I start with my original and do the following:
Delete Supports
Delete Proto_Support
Delete Sk_BtmSupport
Delete Sk_TopSupport
The terminal feature is then SpoolTop
If I look at that image as a wireframe, I see this:
PolarPatrn_1_StartWireframe.jpg
PolarPatrn_1_StartWireframe.jpg (33.81 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
If I start with your file, and do the following:
Delete MultiTransform
Delete Fillet
I see this:
PolarPatrn_1_StartWireframe_markster.jpg
PolarPatrn_1_StartWireframe_markster.jpg (31.65 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Can you tell me how you got back to the starting point for your file, from my original?

Note the difference on the inside rim of the wireframe where the fillets start.
On yours, there is no line connecting the inside rim arcs on either side of the post sticking out.
On mine, there is a line crossing over connecting the two arcs.
I don't know if this has anything to do with the problems I'm having or not, but it seems suspicious.

BTW, using the PDWrapper macro worked here as well.