sketcher carbon copy

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
CrashedAgain

sketcher carbon copy

Post by CrashedAgain »

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.26306 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 6701788)
Hash: 670178869ecdca52f7dcd332c513cb0c82b25cce
Python version: 3.9.7
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)

I know this must be really simple but I cannot get the sketcher carbon copy tool to work.

Following the instructions:

Code: Select all

Make sure you are in the edit mode of an existing Sketcher Sketch. This sketch is the target of the operation.
    Press the Sketcher CarbonCopy button.
    Click on an edge from another sketch. This sketch is the source of the operation.
    Geometry elements as well as constraints are copied into the active sketch.
    Press Esc or the right mouse button to terminate the operation. 

Example:
Step 1: create 2 sketches. One has only a circle, the other has only a square. Set both to be visible.
Step 2: Edit mode on the circle sketch. Click on the carbon copy tool.
Step 3: Try to click on an edge of the square in the visible second sketch and .....nothing happens. It does not select anything.

What am I missing?????
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: sketcher carbon copy

Post by TheMarkster »

Careful attention to the status bar must be paid when invoking this tool as relevant and necessary information is often displayed there.
CrashedAgain

Post by CrashedAgain »

Watching the status bar.....
Edit mode circle sketch. Click on Carbon Copy tool.
Try to select an edge on the "square" sketch.
Status bar says sketches are not parallel, click on ctrl-alt. Both sketches are on the x-z plane ......how can they not be parallel?
So - holding ctrl-alt, try to select an edge of the rectangle.
It worked.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Are the sketches in bodies? in the same body? You may upload the file for further inspection.

You are using a branch. Did you try the official AppImage?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
CrashedAgain

Post by CrashedAgain »

Not using bodies, I do everything in part, not part design.

What do you mean by a "branch"? The version I am using was one of the weekly builds a short while ago.

If I switch now to the "official" version (I assume you mean the "stable" Appimage), that would be a downgrade to an older version and I have gotten into serious problems doing that in the past.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

There is also a LinkStage branch.

If the sketches are truly parallel and it gives that warning, then it might be a bug worth reporting. Check the placements carefully. There could be some very tiny deviation.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

CrashedAgain wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:34 am What do you mean by a "branch"? The version I am using was one of the weekly builds a short while ago.
In your FreeCAD infos it says

Code: Select all

Branch: (HEAD detached at 6701788)
which made me think it was a self compiled version. If you have it from https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... kly-builds it is exactly what you should use.

You still can upload the file for further inspection.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
CrashedAgain

Post by CrashedAgain »

Both sketches were placed on the x-z plane, I just added the circle and the square without any constraints.
The Appimage was downloaded from the weekly builds, the only thing I did to it was rename it "FreeCad_Latest.AppImage" and assign a new icon to it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

CrashedAgain wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:21 pm Both sketches were placed on the x-z plane,
XZ is already a rotation of 90° and sometimes we see small deviations due to rounding errors. That's what I suspect here. Can you try the same in XY-plane?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:29 pm
CrashedAgain wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:21 pm Both sketches were placed on the x-z plane,
XZ is already a rotation of 90° and sometimes we see small deviations due to rounding errors. That's what I suspect here. Can you try the same in XY-plane?
Interesting, I just tried this:
  • on the XY plane, no problem
  • on the YZ plane, no problem
  • on the XZ plane, doesn't work
If I set the the Angle property of the sketches on the XZ plane to 1,0,0 rather than -1,0,0 (what it gets by default) the CC works.

Also note, the planer value of objects created on the XZ plane in not 0, but is on the other planes.
(i.e. on XY plane Z value of square/circle =0, on YZ plane X value =0, but, on XZ plane the Y value is nm off 0)

OS: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) (XFCE/lightdm-xsession)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.26456 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: d34a5616a2b38c96ad05f9a0763ba7504dfb814d
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.6.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."