Freecad Mesh WB - Export issues

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leoheck
Veteran

Re: Freecad Mesh WB - Export issues

Post by leoheck »

wmayer wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:53 am
2. If the user changes the "File Name" it has to be used "as it is". If the user removes or changes the extension manually. It has to be used as the user wants. What we see in this field is what we get.
And what should this be good for? Most of the export functions of the various modules decide by the file extension in what format to write the content. If no file extension is given they will fail to write anything.
First of all, it puts the user in control.
And it also shows the user what he is going to get.

And also, it gives the user the power to change something if needed. Which format do you prefer .step, or .stp? .FCStd, .fcstd, or .FCstd?

It gives the user the knowledge of what is going to happen, what is going to be saved.

The File Type selector should change the File Name only.

The File Name as it is should be used to name the file (nothing else having to be appended hidden somehow)

I use to copy the File Name when I am saving from the Input Filed, to open it in another software, easily by pasting it in the input field.
If it matches what I am seeing of course. Otherwise, I will always have to append/add/change something (the filename) in one place, or in another place, or to dig in a folder full of files that I want to use, which slows down the whole process. But of course, the regular user does not even see this improvement.