Save my setup

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DikH

Save my setup

Post by DikH »

I have a specific setup on windows in FreeCAD that I like to use. Is there any way short of recording a macro for each project that will enable my doing this? I'm using 0.19 on a Windows10 PC.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Save my setup

Post by chrisb »

The setup is saved in the file user.cfg. You can take it an copy it to another computer.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DikH

Post by DikH »

I was unclear. What I do is tile the main and spreadsheet windows, with the Windows spread across both my monitors so that I can have the main window on the main monitor and the spreadsheet on the other monitor. At 75, I cannot remember how I named my variables so I need to look them up as I work. I'm wondering if there is a way to have FreeCAD set up this way every time automatically or at least with a button click? I tried to use a macro, but could not get it to work. I'm using 20.1 as I cannot get 20.2 to open. This is my setup:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Attah images directly, as so from your setup:
Attachments
setup.png
setup.png (99.45 KiB) Viewed 327 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

There is some (minimal) window setup information stored in the Windows registry by Qt. (There is almost nothing else from FreeCAD stored in the registry.)

Unfortunately Windows(tm) tends to rearrange window sizes and positions according to some unknown plan, or perhaps no plan at all.

I see that sort of placement "forgetting" in many applications. Not sure anything can be done.

Gene