Sketch Dimension References To Existing Body

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Wayne Clyburn

Sketch Dimension References To Existing Body

Post by Wayne Clyburn »

I'm very new to FreeCad, and I'm using FreeCad version .17 with Window 7. I'm using Version .17 because Version .19 crashes as soon as I do a part creation.

My question is related to the available methods for the creation of sketch dimensions and constraint functions. When adding a new sketch to an existing body, is there a way to reference dimensions in that new sketch to features of the existing body? Also, is it possible to align sketch features such as a sketch center point with features of the existing body such as the center of an existing feature such as a round spot face?

So far, I have only been able to reference sketch dimensions to the origin of the work space.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sketch Dimension References To Existing Body

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You should work through some PartDesign Tutorials and learn about Sketcher External. It is best to reference sketches and not edges or vertices of the generated solid.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Sketch Dimension References To Existing Body

Post by Shalmeneser »

v0.20 ? (https://www.freecadweb.org/downloads.php > FreeCAD weekly builds page [no installation needed, just unzip])