Using sketch as base for other sketches

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Marc Bassini

Using sketch as base for other sketches

Post by Marc Bassini »

Hello.

I need to create multiple sketches that all rely on the same construction elements.
Can I create a dummy sketch which includes only and all the (constrained) construction elements and use it as a template or base (don't know how to name it) sketch for the other sketches ?
It should be some kind of a clone so that if modified, the modifications are reported on all the sketches.

Thanks
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Using sketch as base for other sketches

Post by Shalmeneser »

Marc Bassini wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:09 pm Can I create a dummy sketch which includes only and all the (constrained) construction elements and use it as a template or base (don't know how to name it) sketch for the other sketches ?
Master sketch !
Good idea !
Attachments
Master.FCStd
(15.41 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Marc Bassini

Post by Marc Bassini »

Shalmeneser wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:16 pm
Marc Bassini wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:09 pm Can I create a dummy sketch which includes only and all the (constrained) construction elements and use it as a template or base (don't know how to name it) sketch for the other sketches ?
Master sketch !
Good idea !
There is something I don’t get.
How can I create an external link to something I can't select / I don't see in another sketch (in my case a construction line, which by definition is internal to the other sketch) ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In a so called Master Sketch you make everything visible. It is not padded or similar and thus doesn't have to meet the usual conditions for sketches which create features, such as no T-joints, no crossings.

If it is outside of your current body - because you want to use it in different bodies - then you have to use a PartDesign ShapeBinder.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.