Connect "parts" in BIM?

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dasmodel

Connect "parts" in BIM?

Post by dasmodel »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Hi all,
I've struggling a bit with BIM for a year now. I've successfully modeled my house a bit in rough, but now I want to do more detailed things and the workbenches confuse me.
Tutorials do not help me out, so I start to think my conceptual understanding of how to use the software is incorrect.

What I'd like to do:
- Create some parts (e.g. wooden beams)
- Connect them together (e.g. at a line or corner)
- Place new objects on this connected construction

Is this a proper use of BIM, or should I go with creating parts and using it more as an Assembly?
Things I've tried is:
- in BIM, adding new components referenced to an existing plane (of another component), does not allow re-use (?) of parts
- in Part Design create a new part, but how do I connect two of the same together?

I feel I'm either trying to use FC in a completely wrong way it was not intended for, or just have a conceptual misinterpretation of how I should approach this problem. The fact that I haven't found any tutorial or similar questions makes me lean to the former...
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: Connect "parts" in BIM?

Post by thomas-neemann »

dasmodel wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:14 am

with the geometry in a bim process, in my opinion, you can do whatever you want if no attributes are required.

if attributes are required, in my opinion there is no way around coordinating with each new partner exactly how and which attributes are sent in the ifc file. e.g. for heat calculations, static proof, quantity determination, tga, etc.
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
dasmodel

Post by dasmodel »

thomas-neemann wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:47 pm
dasmodel wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:14 am

with the geometry in a bim process, in my opinion, you can do whatever you want if no attributes are required.

if attributes are required, in my opinion there is no way around coordinating with each new partner exactly how and which attributes are sent in the ifc file. e.g. for heat calculations, static proof, quantity determination, tga, etc.
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean.
What do you mean by attributes? And partners?

I think one of my sub-questions is; How do I add parts from Part Design correctly in the BIM workbench and connect them together?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

dasmodel wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:14 am What I'd like to do:
@yorik, the creator of the Arch and BIM workbench as well as one of the author of FreeCAD, has some beginner tutorials on suggested workflow to read e.g. https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Arch_tutorial

You may like to post our model, some sketch to illustrate better what do you like to do.

Moving this to Draft, Arch & BIM sub-forum for better exposure for more discussion hopefully :)
dasmodel

Post by dasmodel »

paullee wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:42 pm
dasmodel wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:14 am What I'd like to do:
@yorik, the creator of the Arch and BIM workbench as well as one of the author of FreeCAD, has some beginner tutorials on suggested workflow to read e.g. https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Arch_tutorial

You may like to post our model, some sketch to illustrate better what do you like to do.

Moving this to Draft, Arch & BIM sub-forum for better exposure for more discussion hopefully :)
Thanks for moving it!
I've followed the the tutorial a while ago, but will revisit to see if I missed something.

Attached is a screenshot of my simple current try;
It contains two mirrored beams with cutouts that I want to interlace.
Screenshot from 2021-12-03 20-52-50.png
Screenshot from 2021-12-03 20-52-50.png (436.85 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

You created a beam.

Then you want to use that again at another position?

Try Draft.Clone, or App::Link

(You may like to 'contain' the PartDesign object in an Arch Object e.g. ArchStructure to make it a 'Arch/BIM' object - select the PartDesign object, click e.g. ArchStructure button
dasmodel

Post by dasmodel »

paullee wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:35 pm You created a beam.

Then you want to use that again at another position?

Try Draft.Clone, or App::Link

(You may like to 'contain' the PartDesign object in an Arch Object e.g. ArchStructure to make it a 'Arch/BIM' object - select the PartDesign object, click e.g. ArchStructure button
Not only use it again in another position, actually connecting these beams together by referencing their absolute position on selected points (or lines, or faces). It feels more like assembly.
I probably can do that through a script, right? I realize FreeCAD is suddenly infinitely more powerful when interfacing through Python.

Edit: Will give creating ArchStructures a try!
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

dasmodel wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:08 pm Not only use it again in another position, actually connecting these beams together by referencing their absolute position on selected points (or lines, or faces). It feels more like assembly.
I probably can do that through a script, right? I realize FreeCAD is suddenly infinitely more powerful when interfacing through Python.
Usually no need a script in most of examples users discussed here unless you have something very special :)

Would suggest you follow the workflow in the tutorial first, post your model for peoples to understand your thoughts.

Maybe, Draft Clone / make Links to your created beam, Draft Move to position the Clones / Links to desirable locations would do.

Good luck.