Smoothing arches in Sketcher

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

Smoothing arches in Sketcher

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

is it possible to smooth arches in Sketcher ? When I draw an arch, it looks very edgy and consists of just a few line segments. When I try to attach a point to it (using Point On Object Constraint), the point lands below it and I’m not sure if it’s properly constrained. I guess that it is but coarse curve refinement makes it look unconstrained. I tried changing the Tesselation setting in Part Design preferences but it only influences the display of curves after closing the Sketcher. Is there an equivalent option but for the Sketcher itself ?
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Smoothing arches in Sketcher

Post by Shalmeneser »

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Sketcher_Pr ... es#Display :
Segments per geometry
Curves are approximated by polygon segments for visualization. The segments per geometry define the number of polygons for the approximation. The lower limit are 50 segments. Higher values refine the visualization but can lead to longer calculation times, especially for B-splines
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Thanks, it looks much better with an increased value of this parameter. I wonder what’s the optimal setting for moderately powerful computers. The default 50 seems far too small but I don’t want to exaggerate in the opposite direction as well. Maximum possible value of 999 would probably have a significant impact on performance when there are many curves in the sketch.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

This is just a visualization problem.
With practice, you just don't care. It reminds you that each position is computed and so not exact.