Undoing a part

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Krischu

Undoing a part

Post by Krischu »

I have created a body from some boolean and revolving operations. Can I undo the part and return back to some point in the beginning of the creation process?
--
Christoph
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Undoing a part

Post by drmacro »

Krischu wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:14 pm I have created a body from some boolean and revolving operations. Can I undo the part and return back to some point in the beginning of the creation process?
I suspect from your question we should have a talk about the differences between Part and Part Design...and the recommendation not to mix them.
:mrgreen:

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Part_and_PartDesign
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Krischu wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:14 pm I have created a body from some boolean and revolving operations. Can I undo the part and return back to some point in the beginning of the creation process?
It depends on how many undo steps you have configured. But you can always delete all subsequent operations/features.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

in general, 99.9% of the cases, you cannot delete or redo operations in the tree structure, all the more so if you have mixed Part and PartDesign
you have to "go up" the whole tree of the last operation, until the one you have to change
and do it all again, sorry for the lost job
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

papyblaise wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:49 pm in general, 99.9% of the cases, you cannot delete or redo operations in the tree structure, all the more so if you have mixed Part and PartDesign
I cannot confirm this, at least not if you build your models properly. Have a look at this page, especially the paragraph about creating stable models.

My estimation is that in 9 of 10 cases I have no problems changing a previous step.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

papyblaise wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:49 pm in general, 99.9% of the cases, you cannot delete or redo operations in the tree structure
I also can not confirm this. The last time i had issues with with deleting, was around 0.17 with PDN, and that was pretty rare. And with the undo functions i have very rare issues and if, then maybe with the unparametric or draft functions.

Greetings
user1234
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Sometimes I have noticed Undo and Redo fail in the sketcher. I have taken to deleting the last things added instead of using undo.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

TheMarkster wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:55 pm Sometimes I have noticed Undo and Redo fail in the sketcher. I have taken to deleting the last things added instead of using undo.
It is known that there are issues e.g. with deleting external references. Did you encounter issues in other context too?
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I will need to notice when it happens again how to reproduce.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

TheMarkster wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:55 pm Sometimes I have noticed Undo and Redo fail in the sketcher. I have taken to deleting the last things added instead of using undo.
when you add geometry with auto constraints the first undo removes the auto created constrain and a second undo is needed to remove the geometry, maybe this makes you think its failing...