Where is the pad tool?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rascalito

Where is the pad tool?

Post by rascalito »

Hello!

I just bought an apple M1, (Mac Mini) and I have downloaded Freecad 0.20. See detail below.
I wanted to check how fast it is, and created a small sketch. Rounded rectangle, nothing more. Once
fully constrained, I wanted to do what I always do, use the pad tool (a yellow brick floating over an outline),
but I can't see that icon anywhere. I typed "pad" in help. Usually on Mac, it finds all the menus containing
the string "pad", but there is no result. I also checked from view -> toolbars that all the toolbars are enabled.

Am I missing something? On Ubuntu, it worked fine last time I used it.

Thanks

Addendum: I just found out that the interface is a bit different (linux and mac), possibly because the
freecad version is not the same. It's an older version on Mac. On Linux, when finishing the sketch, I'm directly
switched to part design, and therefore get the proper menus. On Mac, I have to switch from sketch context to
part design.

-------------------------------------

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.26498 (Git)
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.9.7
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: C/Default (C)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Where is the pad tool?

Post by chrisb »

You don't have to switch, if you create the sketch from PartDesign workbench, and that's the same behaviour in older versions too. And that's the preferred way of doing it, if you want to pad, because then PartDesign takes care of placing the sketch inside of a body.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.