Limitation of FC V20

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
un1corn

Limitation of FC V20

Post by un1corn »

Hi guys.
Can anyone give me an idea of the limitations of FreeCAD V20?
I know both V19 and V20 are still in development stage but V19 has several issues I am finding ( or not ).
I.E. cannot get to macros with addon manager, is this likely to be included in either a later V19 version or is it available V20?
Are the spec's for the later versions documented with the short comings as well as the new options, if so where is the place to find them.
I am considering uninstalling V19 and re installing V18 if it is still available as I could even go back to my V16 designs and there would be no deformation in V18.
I still think that FreeCAD is terrific piece of software and its hat's off to the programmers and developers for all their hard work.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Limitation of FC V20

Post by drmacro »

un1corn wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:30 pm ...
Can anyone give me an idea of the limitations of FreeCAD V20?
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Release_notes_0.20
I know both V19 and V20 are still in development stage but V19 has several issues I am finding ( or not ).
Technically 0.19 development has ceased except for some back ports.
I.E. cannot get to macros with addon manager, is this likely to be included in either a later V19 version or is it available V20?
This was a known issue in 0.19, I don't know if it was ever completely eliminated.

It works fine in 0.20 here on Debian 10/11, Ubuntu, and Manjaro for me.
Are the spec's for the later versions documented with the short comings as well as the new options, if so where is the place to find them.
See the link above for whatever info is currently available.
I am considering uninstalling V19 and re installing V18 if it is still available as I could even go back to my V16 designs and there would be no deformation in V18.
IMO, this is never an option. So much has been improved and fixed, for me, it would feel like giving up my phaser for stone knives and bear skins.
And, any FreeCAD file you saved n recent versions of 0.19 are probably no longer viable in 0.18 or older.

I have been using 0.20 almost exclusively since it was introduced early in 2021.
I still think that FreeCAD is terrific piece of software and its hat's off to the programmers and developers for all their hard work.
Agreed.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For seeing all addons you may have to install gitpython.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

The missing macros thing is a certificate issue, rolling back to an earlier version won't help you there: but remember that you can always install macros by hand, by downloading them directly off the wiki. The 0.19.3 release should be out in a few days' time, packagers are working on it now. So I'd wait to see if that ends up working well for you.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
un1corn

Post by un1corn »

Thank you all for your inputs.
I tried access the macros via Wiki but kept getting a message saying Wiki was having problems.
I will wait a while longer before updating again.
I cannot begin to imagine the amount of work that goes into creating and updating FreeCAD and its successive versions.
I have the greatest respect and admiration for the programmers and the brains behind it all.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Maybe reading:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264

Will help, you are asking for some generic informations, that are even "platform related".

Some cosmetics about title "Limitation of FreeCAD" may seem more a "bug report" than a "question".

"Accessing Macro with Wiki", sound somewhat strange, what are you trying to achieve?

Maybe download some macro, as alternative to the "addon Manager"?

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/