Problems with Pad when constructing girder bridge deck

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PeterSD

Re: Problems with Pad when constructing girder bridge deck

Post by PeterSD »

Shalmeneser wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:20 am Have you found the 2 solo lines (with T-junction) ?
Thanks for your reply. I have removed a couple of lines from the sketch, The line that linked the bottom inside radius to the end of the bridge deck and the top of the coping (outside) to the z axis thinking that these were both in additional to your sketch and I added these for 'belt and braces).
I have switched to Isometric view to get a clearer viewof the interface between the Sketch and model.
Sketch006 Isometric view.PNG
Sketch006 Isometric view.PNG (62.56 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
I cannot see a T connection.
[UPDATE
I have deleted my comment about adding the extra line. What this Padding is to to do, is to add the shape to the end of the existing wall by Reverse Padding. :oops: .

Kind Regards
Peter
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

I have looked again and decided to try drawing the sketch as I would do without referring to the reference sketch apart from the the shape that I wanted to achieve at each end of the Wall.
The basic wall was Symmetrically padded to 2 mm length and a width of 25 mm. The Wall Panel Frame was Symmetrically padded to 3 mm with a width of 23 mm. The difference in widths, 1 mm each side, is to accommodate the side walls (Sketch006).
In the view below, the Padding lengths are shown. The Wall Coping is at the top of the image and again was Symmetrically Padded to match the wall with a width of 25mm and a padded length of 6 mm.
Sketch006 Re-drawn File Rev 5.1a.PNG
Sketch006 Re-drawn File Rev 5.1a.PNG (112.77 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
This still does not want to Pad -'Failed to Validate broken face'.
Please note that the line connecting the bottom if the inside wall wall face to the bottom of the inside wall frame is not visible??? but it responds to line 5.
Kind Regards
Peter
Deck Rev 5 ,1a Sharm_PeterSD.FCStd
(128.14 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

I now have the padding active but this presented another issue.
I have the Side walls present but they are at the centre line and not at the ends, When I first padded, I noted that all three directions set to 1.00. I have come across this a few times which forced me set Custom directions. I believe that these are the vectors???
I reset the values to 1.00 0.00 0.00 then reset them to 1,00 1.00 0.00.againI hit the problem that they were in the centre. I then remembered, in similar situations, one of the Directions was set to -1.00. Now I have made some assumptions above regarding the Direction values but think one of these must be set to -1,00. Could someone please confirm or otherwise my thinking please?
Sketch 6 Padding operates.PNG
Sketch 6 Padding operates.PNG (68.35 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
BTW The broken face was on the underside Wall Coping (inside wall). Line added and this is where I am at.
Deck Rev 5 ,1b Sharm_PeterSD.FCStd
(195.18 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
UPDATE
Thinking further about this.
Sketch006 is set up on the XZ axis and therefore the sketch would normally be on the axis when padded - As seen above.
From the sketch information, there is nothing that defines where the padding is to take place.
What I need to add is a dimension for the the distance from the centre the the place where padding is to take place.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

I've modified : jackass sketch and last one sketch.
Attachments
Deck Rev 5 ,1a_SHALM.FCStd
(148.92 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Capture d’écran 2022-01-24 191426.png
Capture d’écran 2022-01-24 191426.png (9.5 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Shalmeneser wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:20 am Have you found the 2 solo lines (with T-junction) ?
2 white lines here.
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2022-01-24 191736.png
Capture d’écran 2022-01-24 191736.png (15.27 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Direction of Pad :
* relative to sketch
* normal to sketch or custom dimension
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Your & mine.
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2022-01-24 192735.png
Capture d’écran 2022-01-24 192735.png (3.03 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Capture d’écran 2022-01-24 192830.png
Capture d’écran 2022-01-24 192830.png (1.9 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

Shalmeneser wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:25 pm Direction of Pad :
* relative to sketch
* normal to sketch or custom dimension
Thanks for your replies - greatly appreciated.
I shall reply to all your recent repliesin this one to save you time.

Problem with finding the 2 free lines in the sketch preventing Padding
No, I did not find them and resorted to redrawing the sketch (whish obviously eliminated this issue). Not the best approach, I know but I wanted to move on.
I could not find a way of removing the 3D Drawing to see what was around. Could you please advise how this is done? (I did check through the menu options and icon)s but did not find anything that seemed to cover it.

Your New file
Solution to the end Walls
Your solution to Padding the side walls was the right way to go. I would add that is no different to what you produced before but was my problem for not reading through the the tree properly before embarking on Sketch006 :oops: . I was clearly rushing through and being forever obsessed with Symmetry without considering the big picture! More haste, less speed comes to mind. :(
Tidying up the arches sketch
Thanks for that, I see you adjusted the Brim in the last arch and provided an obvious vertical constraint to the final arc centre.I found this particularly difficult as an exercise.

Comparison of sketches
I can see that you have picked up the points on the body at the extremes of the facing side. As above, I was working on the wrong premise.

Direction of Pad
I am still trying to get to grips with the Padding settings. What does a O,OO setting for X y z action do and also 1.00 and -1.00. This is not made clear enough for me to follow in the PartDesign Pad document.

Finally many thanks again. Your replies are always welcome and help me along greatly.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

* Hide / Show : space bar in the construction tree.
* Custom direction : try :/ play with a MWE
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

Shalmeneser wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:56 pm * Hide / Show : space bar in the construction tree.
* Custom direction : try :/ play with a MWE
Thanks. The Spacebar method works fine. At last I can have a clutter free sketch to check it out properly, without the model getting in the way at all! :D
Kind Regards
Peter