Problems with Pad when constructing girder bridge deck

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Problems with Pad when constructing girder bridge deck

Post by Shalmeneser »

Afaik, it's not possible to do PolarPattern on a LinearPattern. You need to use MultiTransform for that.
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:58 pm Afaik, it's not possible to do PolarPattern on a LinearPattern. You need to use MultiTransform for that.
Thanks for your reply. I agree I need to get the MultiTransform working before I can complete the padding operation. Before I move on I wanted to make sure that the components parts are correctly set up.
Please note that the Reference file had a MultiTransform failure but despite this two extra padded functions were added to the frame albeit in the wrong position.
I have gone through checks which I have described in great detail. I have not received any comments from anyone. These checks were to avoid me taking one step forward and two steps back. I have included comments throughout regarding my findings and thoughts. Do you have any comments on this please?
I saved the original Reference file with a unique name and reloaded your original file. This works exactly as it should.
Kind Regards
Peter
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Deck Rev 5 ,2_SHALM.FCStd :
PolarPattern :
* "No axis reference specified" -> problem with the axis
* reselecting the axis : it works
* in your original PolarPattern, you are using a non-existant axis : DatumLine001
* you need to select "DatumLine001 PolarPattern"
I have not received any comments from anyone
Too much questions ? (which I don't understand everything)
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:51 pm Deck Rev 5 ,2_SHALM.FCStd :
PolarPattern :
* "No axis reference specified" -> problem with the axis
* reselecting the axis : it works
* in your original PolarPattern, you are using a non-existant axis : DatumLine001
* you need to select "DatumLine001 PolarPattern"
I have not received any comments from anyone
Too much questions ? (which I don't understand everything)
Thanks again Sharmer.
PolarPatternb Working file.PNG
PolarPatternb Working file.PNG (11.1 KiB) Viewed 972 times
I already had the axis set correctly. I edited this in the Model page but I have 2 entries in the Originals which I think should be blank but cannot find how to remove them. Using the Task dialog does not seem to help me set the axis in any other way.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

PeterSD wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:34 pm ... I have not received any comments from anyone....
Perhaps, because it is "help forum" not "tuition/tell me how to do my model step by step" service :lol: :mrgreen:
I admire and respect Shalmeneser's (and others) patience :ugeek:
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

bambuko wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:49 pm
PeterSD wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:34 pm ... I have not received any comments from anyone....
Perhaps, because it is "help forum" not "tuition/tell me how to do my model step by step" service :lol: :mrgreen:
I admire and respect Shalmeneser's (and others) patience :ugeek:
Thanks for your reply. I too have great admiration for his patience and help. I was very honest as to what I was seeking. You all provide your free time to help others and I appreciate that too.
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

I have spent the week learning about DatumLines, DatumPlanes, Polar Pattern, MultiTransform Mirroring and refreshing on LinearPattern to move on with the bridge build.
Having completed the LHS , I have started out creating a mirror image to complete the front view. The first step in this is to create a datum Plane which I have centred on the middle of the bridge and am adding the pads one by one ensuring that I am adding them in the correct order. I have come across the problem where MultiTransform (used to add the girders under bridge deck) cannot be used as a feature in the Mirror Tool.
mirror across Y axis.PNG
mirror across Y axis.PNG (73.43 KiB) Viewed 832 times
. I had thought that this would not be a problem because the extra girders resulted from this. I am now worried that other transformation features I have used will also be rejected.
The only way out would be for me to create a sketch showing all the girders in place and padding it. Mirroring would work. Unfortunately, the same could be said for all the other transformation tools used.
Kind Regards
Peter
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

You'll need to use other workbench for repetition of this body.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

If your purpose is to 3d-print this bridge, you should keep with single element (specifically refine for 3d-print) and multi-print it, imho.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In PartDesign you cannot transform a Mirror, Linear- or PolarPattern or a MultiTransform. You have to use the MultiTransform instead. In your case you could only add another mirror to the MultiTransform.

Instead of mirroring all features in a (complicated) body, you should rather do a single mirror of the complete body, not the features in Part workbench.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.