3D shell scan to ...

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lgrfbs

3D shell scan to ...

Post by lgrfbs »

If I have posted in the wrong category, please move it to the right place.

What I'm looking for is a YouTube or other document that shows me how to proceed.

What I have is a 3D shell scan of my wall, what I want out of this is a file is the wall profile in a DRW, PNG, STEP or any similar format to take in the wall profile in Alibra Design.

I have managed to insert the ply/stl file into FreeCAD but do not succeed in turning the model correctly in relation to the coordinate system.

I hope I got everything important.
If something is missing, please ask, I will try to answer.

If for any reason anyone is curious about the test files (~88Mb):
https://f000.backblazeb2.com/file/lgrfb ... vpoint.zip
Windows 10 64bit
Best FreeCAD for me right now: FreeCAD 0.18.4 and testing FreeCAD 0.21.1 to see if it is better.
Main CAD program: Alibre Design™ Expert, Version: V25 64-bit [Build 25033]
chrisb
Veteran

Re: 3D shell scan to ...

Post by chrisb »

Moved from Tutorials forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Right click the object and choose Transform from the context menu. This brings up the dragger tool. Grab the arrows to drag on that axis and the spheres to rotate about the axis with the same color arrow.
lgrfbs

Post by lgrfbs »

Thanks for the answer/information, I think the model is more right now. I've looked in the menus to show the coordinate system plans for X, Y&Z, but haven't found where to turn on that display.

Where do I turn on the display of the X, Y & Z plans?

Version of FreeCAD I have, it's: 0.19
Windows 10 64bit
Best FreeCAD for me right now: FreeCAD 0.18.4 and testing FreeCAD 0.21.1 to see if it is better.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

lgrfbs wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:20 am Where do I turn on the display of the X, Y & Z plans?
You have these planes only for bodies and Std_Part containers. Select the Origin and toggle its visibility (provided the planes inside were not manually switched to invisible by the user).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
lgrfbs

Post by lgrfbs »

Really thank you.
Now the model appears to be close perpendicular.

If I'm going to cut off parts of the model that are a mesh, should I be in [Mesh Design] is that the right assumption?
Windows 10 64bit
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

lgrfbs wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:15 pm If I'm going to cut off parts of the model that are a mesh, should I be in [Mesh Design]
I'm not a Mesh expert, but it seems reasonable to me to reduce the number of triangles as far as possible before continuing with converting it into a solid.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

You can trim a mesh with a plane made in part workbench. You can also consider the decimation option to reduce the complexity of the mesh.
lgrfbs

Post by lgrfbs »

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you wrote.
for me it was Meshmixer that fixed both the removal of unwanted segments and the slimming down of the number of triangles.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a useful profile that could be used.
Windows 10 64bit