[Downstream AUR issue] FreeCAD UI Messed up

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Downstream AUR issue] FreeCAD UI Messed up

Post by adrianinsaval »

I think currently it's the check of that package (it runs the freecad tests) that fails, not the build, passing the --nocheck flag to makepkg should allow you to install anyways, but note that FreeCAD (or rather some of it's dependencies) don't play nice with python 3.10 yet so expect some bugs.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:50 pm I think currently it's the check of that package (it runs the freecad tests) that fails, not the build, passing the --nocheck flag to makepkg should allow you to install anyways, but note that FreeCAD (or rather some of it's dependencies) don't play nice with python 3.10 yet so expect some bugs.
Yes, I'm aware of this.

I guess I should have specified: the un-modified update fails.

Since I have no idea what to actually put in the makepkg (pacman offers the option to edit before it attempts the update, but, not knowing how to put the -nocheck flag in...I opt for the instructions on the the package thread https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freecad-git/ and use yay at the command line.)

Code: Select all

yay --mflags --nocheck -S freecad-git
This does work, but as you note, FreeCAD is still somewhat crippled (most notable, most, if not all of Curves workbench just fails).
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

drmacro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:10 pm pacman offers the option to edit before it attempts the update, but, not knowing how to put the -nocheck flag in
pamac* is the GUI developed by manjaro, pacman does not build anything from AUR. Anyway, if you want to do it in pamac you can comment out everything in the check(){...} segment of the PKGBUILD

#check() {
#  cd FreeCAD
#  unset PATH_TO_FREECAD_LIBDIR
#  cd build_dir
#  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=lib bin/FreeCADCmd --console --run-test 0
#}
and it will have the same effect, AFAIK there's no way to pass flags to makepkg from the GUI
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:23 pm
drmacro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:10 pm pacman offers the option to edit before it attempts the update, but, not knowing how to put the -nocheck flag in
pamac* is the GUI developed by manjaro, pacman does not build anything from AUR. Anyway, if you want to do it in pamac you can comment out everything in the check(){...} segment of the PKGBUILD

#check() {
#  cd FreeCAD
#  cd build_dir
#}
and it will have the same effect, AFAIK there's no way to pass flags to makepkg from the GUI
I have not been playing with Manjaro long enough to know the understand the difference in all you describe.

I understand that pamac is a GUI. I don't know the difference between pamac and pacman. (The icon properties showed the program name as pacman. Obviously i need to read up on the a lot of these tools... )

It shows the freecad-git state of upgradable. Click apply it offers the option to edit ( I assume it is the PKGBUILD).

I guess the yay command passes the flag somehow.

And, I see there is a way to get the PKGBUILD and use it by hand locally...but, have not grokked that yet as well.

Seems I need a lot more time with Manjaro. :roll:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

drmacro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:36 pm
adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:23 pm

#check() {
#  cd FreeCAD
#  cd build_dir
#}
I have not been playing with Manjaro long enough to know the understand the difference in all you describe.

I understand that pamac is a GUI. I don't know the difference between pamac and pacman. (The icon properties showed the program name as pacman. Obviously i need to read up on the a lot of these tools... )

It shows the freecad-git state of upgradable. Click apply it offers the option to edit ( I assume it is the PKGBUILD).

I guess the yay command passes the flag somehow.

And, I see there is a way to get the PKGBUILD and use it by hand locally...but, have not grokked that yet as well.

Seems I need a lot more time with Manjaro. :roll:
Just to clarify in-case you haven't read the previous comments in the thread. Despite me first building the git package from AUR (hence the title change) I am not straight up building directly from git, following the steps in https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Compile_on_ ... urce_build with the problem persisting.
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

ifohancroft wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:42 pm
drmacro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:36 pm ...
Just to clarify in-case you haven't read the previous comments in the thread. Despite me first building the git package from AUR (hence the title change) I am not straight up building directly from git, following the steps in https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Compile_on_ ... urce_build with the problem persisting.
Guilty, I have not read all 35 posts in the thread.

I have built from pamac/pacman whatever and it fails the test portion as mentioned.

With the yay command I mention the build completes, but, FreeCAD is crippled.

I have also built from source, with the steps in https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Compile_on_ ... urce_build
This completes as well, but also ends with a crippled FreeCAD.
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

drmacro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:49 pm
ifohancroft wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:42 pm
drmacro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:36 pm ...
Guilty, I have not read all 35 posts in the thread.

I have built from pamac/pacman whatever and it fails the test portion as mentioned.

With the yay command I mention the build completes, but, FreeCAD is crippled.

I have also built from source, with the steps in https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Compile_on_ ... urce_build
This completes as well, but also ends with a crippled FreeCAD.
Yeah, that's usually the case with many posts in a thread.
I also stopped building from AUR. I can't remember if the build failed or what happened.
When you say you end up with FreeCAD crippled, do you mean the same problem I am having? You can see a screenshot a page or two back somewhere.
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

ifohancroft wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:13 pm ...
When you say you end up with FreeCAD crippled, do you mean the same problem I am having? You can see a screenshot a page or two back somewhere.
Not the same problem.

Basically all tools on the Curves workbench fail.

And, I just noticed, that clicking the new document icon does nothing. But, File>New works.

So, it's pretty broken. :(
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

drmacro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:35 pm
ifohancroft wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:13 pm ...
Not the same problem.

Basically all tools on the Curves workbench fail.

And, I just noticed, that clicking the new document icon does nothing. But, File>New works.

So, it's pretty broken. :(
That's weird AF. Have you passed any extra cmake parameters? Like to disable any features or workbenches perhaps?

I may also have this problems, but who knows, as it is unusable with the icons being like this so I can't test.