Can't add two links of same part to an assembly 4

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
buteomont

Can't add two links of same part to an assembly 4

Post by buteomont »

I'm pretty sure this problem is caused my my incomplete mental picture of the way FC works. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I've created an assembly in the Assembly 4 workbench, and created an additive cylinder from the Part Design workbench, to be used as a shaft.
In the Assembly 4 workbench, I right-clicked in the model tree and selected Assembly -> Insert Link to a Part and inserted a bearing that I had previously imported on another tab.

So far, so good.

Then I inserted the bearing again, the same way, and slid this one up to the other end of the shaft. So, now I have a shaft with a bearing at both ends.

It looks great, until I close the task and it recomputes. When it does, the first bearing slides up to the same location as the second bearing. From then on they are inextricably joined as one. I can select one of them and adjust the placement in the properties, and it will move as commanded. But when I apply the location change or close the task, it zips right back to where it was, overlaying the other bearing.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

OS: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (GNOME-Flashback:GNOME/gnome-flashback-metacity)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.26554 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 817c14b)
Hash: 817c14b16af681b06aec7d8c79f744c7a88fa3c3
Python version: 3.9.7
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
6252Z_bearing.FCStd