How to use geometry from a Body in a Sketch?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ideasvacuum

Re: How to use geometry from a Body in a Sketch?

Post by ideasvacuum »

Hi guys, thanks for all the comments. Concerning the corners being B Splines instead of arcs, that is the result of a lofted body being filleted and is an accurate representation of a moulded item I am reverse engineering. I tried tracing over the external geom before raising this Topic - just not accurate enough at the corners. I'm not concerned if the parametrics would be lost because the model is never going to be changed.

I was thinking that maybe the Offset macro could get me out of jail with a zero offset of the external geom, but no such luck :D

However, notable that other cad systems can use the external geom in a Sketch as 'normal' geometry for modelling and maintain the parametrics. Would be good if FreeCAD would allow the User to do so, even if parametrics could not be maintained.

Edit: I think this Macro: FaceToSketch is actually the answer :mrgreen:
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

ideasvacuum wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:39 am ...

However, notable that other cad systems can use the external geom in a Sketch as 'normal' geometry for modelling and maintain the parametrics. Would be good if FreeCAD would allow the User to do so, even if parametrics could not be maintained....
Alas, we are looking for solutions in FreeCAD, not other systems. And, sometimes the available solutions don't meet our expectations.

Unfortunately, sometimes that means the user needs to resort to Python or persusing the plethora of macros available in the Addon manager, or offerings from other users.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
ideasvacuum

Post by ideasvacuum »

Alas, we are looking for solutions in FreeCAD, not other systems.
FreeCad can already do it, we just need to give the User the decision as to whether the entries should be reference only or editable.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

ideasvacuum wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:44 pm FreeCad can already do it,
How that?
I remember old discussions with Abdullah about this, there may be even a ticket, but I wasn't aware that it is already possible :? .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ideasvacuum

Post by ideasvacuum »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:05 pm
ideasvacuum wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:44 pm FreeCad can already do it,
How that?
I remember old discussions with Abdullah about this, there may be even a ticket, but I wasn't aware that it is already possible :? .
As per my first post - works well but only produces the entities as reference. If the User could choose to use them as editable (i.e. they could be used for Pad etc) that would be great.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

ideasvacuum wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:51 am works well but only produces the entities as reference. If the User could choose to use them as editable (i.e. they could be used for Pad etc) that would be great.
Did you figure out how to do this?
I'm trying to fill in a gap between a base plate and a pipe turning/expanding feature, so the projection onto the sketch plane is a spline. I'm not sure how to access the control points of a reference spline so unless I can convert the reference geometry into normal sketch geometry, I'm not sure how to solve this problem.

(Im coming from solidworks, where I would go: convert entities -> edges of the loft, trim and get a shape that extrudes up to the surface of the loft, filling the 'overhang'. In freecad I can get the geometry to do this, except it's magenta splines so I'm kinda stuck)