How to use geometry from a Body in a Sketch?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ideasvacuum

How to use geometry from a Body in a Sketch?

Post by ideasvacuum »

I used the 'Create an edge linked to an external geometry' function, but the entities do not count as Sketch entities - Solver says 'Empty Sketch'. I want to extrude those edges - how do I toggle them to Sketch Entities? Or is it possible to simply select the edges in Model Space for extrusion?
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: How to use geometry from a Body in a Sketch?

Post by Shalmeneser »

You need to draw normal lines using your externals geometries.
No automatic tool in master branch.

B-spline ??
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

You trace over the lines with the various Sketcher tools.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

I think you will make it now,
not sure if you for example make use of the wiki or not.

does not matter so much, my question is if you go through Sketcher_External would you have caught on to the fact that you actually have to make all new geometry?
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

ideasvacuum wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:19 pm ... how do I toggle them to Sketch Entities? ..
here is a possibility from min 0:06 (realthunder version https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNMkPZTty5w

phpBB [video]
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

You can try to convert the external geometry to bsplines.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is indeed possible, but you should be aware of the consequences: If you create a pad from such sketch, the correspionding faces will be B-spline surfaces, and not planes, if you reference the sketch with external geometry, you will not be able to place points on it.

Just out of interest I would enjoy an answer to Shalmeneser's question above: Why do you use the uncommon B-splines in the corners and not simple arcs?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:41 am
This is indeed possible, but you should be aware of the consequences: If you create a pad from such sketch, the correspionding faces will be B-spline surfaces, and not planes, if you reference the sketch with external geometry, you will not be able to place points on it.
Another limitation is it will not be parametric to the external geometry. I doubt the convert to bspline tool was intended to be used with external geometry and as a happy accident it seems to work much of the time. Once converted the external links can be deleted without effect.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

TheMarkster wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:34 pm Another limitation is it will not be parametric to the external geometry.
Excellent point! That makes this technique of turning external geomtry into real almost useless.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:37 pm
TheMarkster wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:34 pm Another limitation is it will not be parametric to the external geometry.
Excellent point! That makes this technique of turning external geomtry into real almost useless.
You can't really make bsplines in the sketcher that run through given points. The bsplines in the sketcher have control points that can be dragged to shape the bspline, but it doesn't go through those points. Such bsplines can be created outside the sketcher and brought into a sketch with this method.