Creating a textured station platform surface

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Creating a textured station platform surface

Post by Shalmeneser »

You just need to modify the occurrences in the ComboView>Data (and you will see here the length) and the plate changes its dimension.
Attachments
Capture du 2022-01-15 21-23-27.png
Capture du 2022-01-15 21-23-27.png (3.59 KiB) Viewed 996 times
Station Platform REV 1_markster_SHALM_v3.FCStd
(43.39 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

Thanks so much for this. What I shall do is to print a small trial panel knowing that I can expand the length and width at will. :D
If I pocket the half bricks at the far end and I print two identical panels I will be able to check the interlocking. Then, the world is my oyster :mrgreen:
Thanks for your patience and skill.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

PeterSD wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:55 pm Thanks so much for this. What I shall do is to print a small trial panel knowing that I can expand the length and width at will. :D
If I pocket the half bricks at the far end and I print two identical panels I will be able to check the interlocking. Then, the world is my oyster :mrgreen:
Which face do you print it on ? (problem with support in any case)
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:09 pm
PeterSD wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:55 pm Thanks so much for this. What I shall do is to print a small trial panel knowing that I can expand the length and width at will. :D
I have a heated bed which I set to 60 deg C. I am using Creality Cura as my slicing software and have a number of options for support. The CR6 SE has a glass bed and self levelling function. Touch wood, I have never had problems with stability of the models I have built and warping.
I shall prepare things to make a run tonight/tomorrow and post the results on here. I am looking forward to sharing the results of your work.
I intend to load the model flat on the bed. If you have other advice which may well be better with your experience.
Kind Regards
Peter
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

PeterSD wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:22 pm
Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:09 pm
I have a heated bed which I set to 60 deg C. I am using Creality Cura as my slicing software and have a number of options for support. The CR6 SE has a glass bed and self levelling function. Touch wood, I have never had problems with stability of the models I have built and warping.
I shall prepare things to make a run tonight/tomorrow and post the results on here. I am looking forward to sharing the results of your work.
I intend to load the model flat on the bed. If you have other advice which may well be better with your experience.
Kind Regards
Peter
Sorry to trouble you further. When I have set a length, What is the best way of pocketing the far end of the platform to remove the half blocks?
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

PeterSD wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:37 pm Sorry to trouble you further. When I have set a length, OCCURRENCE, what is the best way of pocketing the far end of the platform to remove the half blocks?
My last file is for a true interlocking (x, y, z), not just juxtaposition.
Check other file for idea. ;)
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:43 pm
PeterSD wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:37 pm Sorry to trouble you further. When I have set a length, OCCURRENCE, what is the best way of pocketing the far end of the platform to remove the half blocks?
Yes, I remember now. I shall check it. You used it to trim the Leading Edge. :) I shall reload it. Many thanks again and have a good night
Kind Regards
Peter
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

PeterSD wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:49 pm
Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:43 pm
Yes, I remember now. I shall check it. You used it to trim the Leading Edge. :) I shall reload it. Many thanks again and have a good night
Kind Regards
Peter
Sorry to trouble you again. I have created Sketch003. It does not yet have the Outer symmetrical rectangle. Thought that I needed to get my head around getting the diagram fully constrained first and I had to work through how I would prepare for the slotting to ensure that results in an acceptable way to allow for slotting. I am assuming that I do not have to do anything on the LHS.
Sketch in work for Slotting.PNG
Sketch in work for Slotting.PNG (190.13 KiB) Viewed 839 times
I have avoiding using dimensions. Please give me your comments,. Good or bad, I would appreciate them as It would further help my learning experience.
File attached now version 3.1
Station Platform REV 1_markster_SHALM_v3.1 (2).FCStd
(141.31 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Your last sketch is HORRIBLE :shock: :?
Attachments
Station Platform REV 1_markster_SHALM_v4.FCStd
(83.26 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Capture du 2022-01-16 20-35-09.png
Capture du 2022-01-16 20-35-09.png (3.14 KiB) Viewed 808 times
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:36 pm Your last sketch is HORRIBLE :shock: :?
Thank you for the new file - greatly appreciated.
Yes, in comparison my sketch was horrible.
I had no idea that I could ignore the number of Occurrences and could just repeat exactly what you had done before. I was thinking that I had to come up with a solution. I spent many hours trying to work out how I could produce the sketch and ensure I avoided using dimensions ( a fault of mine in the past), Not knowing the intention, I came up with what I thought was wanted and that was very difficult. I wondered why one group of blocks seemed to be working together, Touch one of these blocks on the RHS when the Occurrences have completed, and the same block in the the next pair down also changed colour down to the first row. I now wish I had asked about this earlier but did not want to disturb you.
I shall do a print run tonight to create 2 of these Platforms and see how the interlocking works out.
Thanks again and please accept my apologies for making things hard for you. Without your support I would not be dusting off the printer :)
Kind Regards
Peter