Creating a textured station platform surface

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PeterSD

Re: Creating a textured station platform surface

Post by PeterSD »

Good morning
I had problems with the length calculation in the 'LinearPattern' - It did not recognise Sketch002 despite it working before. I downloaded another copy and it also failed for the same reason.
Station Platform REV 1_markster_SHALM_v2 (1).FCStd
(191.73 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
I decided to try and create my own modified file to see how things go.
Station Platform REV 3.FCStd
(77.84 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
This is the stage I am at and I have created the first LinearPattern which also would not accept the formula to calculate the length - so it looks like I have made an error but I did copy the formula correctly.
The changes I have made in this file is to use the calculations I made to fit the printer bed rather than using the previous settings (See bottom of page 1 of this thread). I used the calculated width (Y axis) and height (X axis) on sketch001 and the thickness of the base being the padding distance.
Sketch002 contained the first two blocks, as before.
To get round the issues with the formula not being workable, I simply entered the calculated length and the number Occurrences from my calculations.
When reviewing the result, I found a small discrepancy where the output was not symmetrical . An important requirement if I am to interlock end to end. Looking more closely, I could see that the reason for this was that I needed to extend the base by another dd dimension. This seems to have worked. I have not yet tackled the second LinearPattern.
Rev 3 Build.PNG
Rev 3 Build.PNG (72.69 KiB) Viewed 935 times
Comments would be welcome. Thanks.
Kind Regards
Peter
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

PeterSD wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:34 pm I had problems with the length calculation in the 'LinearPattern' - It did not recognise Sketch002 despite it working before. I downloaded another copy and it also failed for the same reason.
Have you change FreeCAD version ? Some recent 0.20 version had problems.
Last one is ok.
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

Shalmeneser wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:44 pm
PeterSD wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:34 pm I had problems with the length calculation in the 'LinearPattern' - It did not recognise Sketch002 despite it working before. I downloaded another copy and it also failed for the same reason.
Have you change FreeCAD version ? Some recent 0.20 version had problems.
Last one is ok.
Thanks for your reply.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Kind Regards
Peter
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

I have now created the second linearPattern (X-axis).
I had the same trouble with the formula.
Setting up second Linear Pattern.PNG
Setting up second Linear Pattern.PNG (74.2 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Until I know what is going wrong, I continued with the calculation method to balance the padding distance, x-axis, and the length value for the LinearPattern. It was great to see in the 3D view how my adjustments were going :D
I have revised the File issue to 3.1.
Rev 3.1 Second LinearPattern complete.PNG
Rev 3.1 Second LinearPattern complete.PNG (100.08 KiB) Viewed 874 times
File below
Station Platform REV 3_1.FCStd
(129.36 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Now on to the MultiTransform.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You have two dots after "Sketch002".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:01 pm You have two dots after "Sketch002".
Thanks Chris - well spotted. I did not look too closely because the result has been the same on 3 different occasions. Never mind. I shall try again later when I have time :)
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

PeterSD wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:11 pm I had the same trouble with the formula :
'(' !
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

Shalmeneser wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:20 pm
PeterSD wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:11 pm I had the same trouble with the formula :
'(' !
It is not a big issue. I accepted it was my probably my error when It first arose. At least it made me learn how I had to accommodate the issue by manipulating the program features - On a positive note I might add. Also, using FreeCAD features beats trying to do things manually and I am very grateful for the support helping me to achieve this.

Kind Regards
Peter
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Occurrences should probably have something in front of it, like Constraints.Occurrences, Spreadsheet.Occurrences, etc.
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

I am really struggling with the MultiTransform.
To set this up I selected the body and pressed space to make it active. I then selected MultiTransform and it listed the available features, which included the the two LinearPattern features. I selected the 'inearPattern X axis' and received the message 'Transformation Successful' message. Pressing the OK buttonbrings me back to the tree. Selecting the Multitransform again I get the dialog telling me that LinearPattern x axis succeeded. Looking to add the other transformation, I right clicked in The Transformations box, selected LinearPattern to add and the list def and instead of offerring LinearPattern Y axis, LinearPattern002. The Message window advised 'Only additive or Subtractive features can be transformed'
I propably missed something The Multitransform instructions. Can someone please help?
Thank you
Station Platform REV 3_2.FCStd
(167.12 KiB) Downloaded 9 times