Creating a textured station platform surface

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PeterSD

Re: Creating a textured station platform surface

Post by PeterSD »

The image below shows the results of 2 models, produced from the 3D Printer, from the file in this thread. They have just come off the printer and have been interlocked. No other work has been carried out on these.
Interlocked prints.png
Interlocked prints.png (566.76 KiB) Viewed 781 times
The above surpasses what I thought could be achieved in that, from a simple sketch, I can repeat a pattern as many times as I wish in the X and Y direction and that I get the size of the completed part as I am sizing it. This latter feature ensures that I can keep the dimension to be within the parameters of the printer bed. The interlocking function works very well, bearing in mind the I have not made any adjustments following removal from the printer bed and looking directly down on the platform, with a contrasting background, was the worst case possible. Flatness across the Join was very good.
All this has been achieved due to the expertise of Shalmeneser and Markster and their patience with me (the novice). I am greatly appreciative for this.
This has opened up possibilities for further development. Staying with the Platform structure and its achievement above. I guess that I could have a short interlocking section to house the mounting of a signal at the end of the platform.
I see this as using the existing file on a short interlocking platform section, with a new part created in the file to cover the signal mount. Is this a viable way forward? I have yet to design the requirements for the signal mount but it is a removeable colour light signal which plugs into a DIL socket. I have already used this principle on the layout.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:P great !
Thanks for the picture.
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

Shalmeneser wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:02 pm :P great !
Thanks for the picture.
It is the least I could do for all the work you put in..
To further add to my learning lessons. I am reviewing the process you have gone through. I realised that the Platform Deck would have to be adjusted in the x and y directions depending of the no of occurrences are set in their respective LinearTransforms.I looked at sketch001 and found the dimensions were based on a formula example being:-
(Sketch002.Constraints.HH + Sketch002.Constraints.dd) * 2 * LinearPattern001.Occurrences - Sketch002.Constraints.dd
I have never used the formula option before and understand how important it is in these cases. A very good introduction to this topic - Thanks.
I have also learnt that, where a formula is used, it is hidden from view and the only thing presented is the dimension itself (unless you click on the formula icon).
I shall continue to learn from this exercise.
Kind Regards
Peter
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

I have re-sized the blocks in sketch002 to be 12 mm square (3 Ft Square in 4mm Gauge), dimensions LL & HH and I also reduced the mortar thickness to 0.1 mm, dimension dd.
20220118_173714 1.png
20220118_173714 1.png (564.65 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Station Platform REV 1_markster_SHALM_v4.FCStd
(237.22 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Could someone please advise me the best approach to take a body, constructed using the the file above, to carry out further changes to that body.

About 20 years ago, I used Visual Basic to create applications in Excel. That's a long time ago and things have moved on since then. What I think would be very useful would be present a dialog box that asked for the dimensions I wanted to repeat in this application and then to use them to provide the dimensions for LL and HH. This would then allow me to put in dimensions to produce brick, stone or other basic texture features.
Perhaps running this as a macro. Is this feasible?
Thank you
Kind Regards
Peter
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

You can totally make a macro that brings up a dialog asking for dimensions. But I would just use a spreadsheet with expressions, much simpler to do.
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:47 pm You can totally make a macro that brings up a dialog asking for dimensions. But I would just use a spreadsheet with expressions, much simpler to do.
Thank you for your reply, I shall look into that. I have seen people are using that method and I am familiar with spreadsheets, so I should be able to handle it. :D
Kind Regards
Peter