Creating a textured station platform surface

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PeterSD

Re: Creating a textured station platform surface

Post by PeterSD »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:35 am Occurrences should probably have something in front of it, like Constraints.Occurrences, Spreadsheet.Occurrences, etc.
Thanks for that. I shall check the formula that I copied and take the opportunity to retest using the formula. I shall post on here what I find.
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

PeterSD wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:46 am
TheMarkster wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:35 am Occurrences should probably have something in front of it, like Constraints.Occurrences, Spreadsheet.Occurrences, etc.
Thanks for that. I shall check the formula that I copied and take the opportunity to retest using the formula. I shall post on here what I find.
Found reference file
Station Platform REV 1_markster_SHALM_v2 (1).FCStd
(246.96 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Snips for LinearPattern and LinearPatternoo1
Station Platform REV 1_markster_SHALM_v2 (1)-Platform LinearPattern formula.PNG
Station Platform REV 1_markster_SHALM_v2 (1)-Platform LinearPattern formula.PNG (60.66 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Station Platform REV 1_markster_SHALM_v2 (1)-Platform LinearPattern001 formula.PNG
Station Platform REV 1_markster_SHALM_v2 (1)-Platform LinearPattern001 formula.PNG (61.81 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Edit I shall hold off re-trying the formula until I get the all clear, Thanks
Kind Regards
Peter
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Make it LinearPattern.Occurrences or LinearPattern001.Occurrences.
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:11 am Make it LinearPattern.Occurrences or LinearPattern001.Occurrences.
Thanks very much, I shall try that in the formula and post another reply here.
Kind Regards
Peter

UPDATE
I changed the formula for both. It allowed me to update but when I go back, I find the formula has reverted to what it was.
I have limited this action to the reference file at this time
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

Coming back to my file. I have now successfully entered the formula into both LinearPattern features and up issued the file to Rev 3.3.
Station Platform REV 3_3.FCStd
(123.02 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
The reasons for the previous failures were all mine.
The 2 dots, previously mentioned, were where I had started to enter a feature and selected it from the dropdown box th complete the entry. This automatically added one dot at the end but failed to see it and I added another. Lack of familiarity on my part was the cause :oops: I have learnt from this mistake.
The critical dimensions in Sketch002 (HH, LL and dd) were not named and the formula did not recognise the Contraints values. I have corrected these.
Sketch002 Contraints.PNG
Sketch002 Contraints.PNG (86.47 KiB) Viewed 798 times
The formula used for LinearPattern x axis ( the other is similar with 'LL' being substituted with 'HH'
Formula used ln LinearPattern x axis.PNG
Formula used ln LinearPattern x axis.PNG (352.03 KiB) Viewed 798 times
The calculated lengths are far shorter than expected with the result being a compression and merging taking place. My manually calculated dimensions provided a good fit.
Formula both set.PNG
Formula both set.PNG (55.97 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Any ideas for me to check please?
Kind Regards
Peter
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

In 0.20.27008, 'LinerPattern.Occurences' will be automatically changed to 'Occurences'. :ugeek:
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

PartDesign_LinearPattern
A LinearPattern cannot be applied directly to another pattern, be it polar, linear or a mirror. For this you need a PartDesign MultiTransform..
Your construction tree let me think you need only MultiTransform (like in my perfect file :mrgreen: ).
Attachments
Capture du 2022-01-15 18-49-38.png
Capture du 2022-01-15 18-49-38.png (22.08 KiB) Viewed 757 times
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

I thought that this oicture might help understand what is going on.
X axis meas..PNG
X axis meas..PNG (90.69 KiB) Viewed 742 times
The first two steps in the x-axis would be fixed by sketch002 and everything else would be determined by the formula. There appears to be a 4mm reduction in step for the next pair of steps. That is the distance travelled on the X axis to of the second pair. The length should be 16 +1.2=17.2
The formula makes this length 12.6
Something similar must be happening along the Y axis but I have not checked this yet.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Your sketch is bad imperfect :
* Zero-dimension : try always to replace a dimension with a geometry when it's possible.
* 6-dimension : if this 6 is the half ot the 12, geometry should translate this (like in my sketch :mrgreen: ).
Attachments
Capture du 2022-01-15 18-59-57.png
Capture du 2022-01-15 18-59-57.png (10.56 KiB) Viewed 740 times
PeterSD

Post by PeterSD »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:47 pm
In 0.20.27008, 'LinerPattern.Occurences' will be automatically changed to 'Occurences'. :ugeek:
Thanks for that. I had replied to that suggestion early this morning to TheMarkster having proven just that is the case.It reverted to just 'Occurances' as you have said.