Pad from sketck

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
medic3a

Re: Pad from sketck

Post by medic3a »

Ok so I was a little impatient but I did state my issue and read the info before asking. figured things out and still learning, thanks to youtube. Still new to this and i'll figure it out.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

medic3a wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:35 am I did state my issue and read the info before asking.
Then why did you not provide the requested FreeCAD info, the file in question, a screenshot of the issue, ... any more meaningful information for the people trying to help you to work with?
medic3a

Post by medic3a »

I'm new, real new. Really some what overwhelmed with the program. watched many hours of youtube videos and still seem to spin my wheels. Just want to draw a simple plate (12"x12"x1/4") of steel with a few holes, one corner cut off and the opposite with a small fillet. I can never get the sketch to constrain to be able to pad it to see what it will look like. Watched Maker Tales youtube videos for FreeCad and the one on Constraints over and over but here I am. I'll try to add a file so you can see what I'm working on.
medic3a

Post by medic3a »

Got the FreeCAD Realthunder ver up and running, seems better. Sorry for being such a noob. Had a desktop CNC machine (and with Laser) for over a year now and love it. Want to get into more detailed 3D parts and thought this was the best program to start with. So my confusing issue for now is constraints. I just can't seem to get (after studying) points (lines, endpoints, circles or any thing) to constrain together. I always end up with many degrees of freedom. Good thing is this new ver of FreeCAD will pad even if the sketch is no fully constrained. attached is my FreeCAD program ver and the file of what I'm working on.
Attachments
plate.FCStd
(28.39 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
FreeCAD pic.jpg
FreeCAD pic.jpg (113.94 KiB) Viewed 628 times
LarryWoestman

Post by LarryWoestman »

Have you looked at Chrisb's Sketcher Lecture/Tutorial? It might help you understand constraints better.

https://owncloud.gwdg.de/index.php/s/eZ ... 9/download
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

ability to pad a sketch with a sketch that is not fully constrained is not unique to rt - that has worked for a long time.
might be though that you do not have a closed "wire" (that it looks to be close on the screen does not matter for the solver, it needs to be for example coincident from one line to another for a sketch to pad)

I know that it is supposed to be a new world nowadays, but gutenberg had a point...
you should mix watching videos with written material, Tutorials is a good place to start - also has basics for sketching.
medic3a

Post by medic3a »

LarryWoestman wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:16 am Have you looked at Chrisb's Sketcher Lecture/Tutorial? It might help you understand constraints better.

https://owncloud.gwdg.de/index.php/s/eZ ... 9/download
Thanks, I'll give it a read.