PartDesign Sketch from Feature

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Fawx

PartDesign Sketch from Feature

Post by Fawx »

Hi all!

I've been using FreeCad only for a short amount of time and begin running into my first problems, designing a inlet piece with more than one angle.
Maybe someone can help - I'm basically unable to import the geometry of a feature confined by a second, angled datum plane. Importing the geometry from its sketch would result in a different shape because of the angled plane.
Further steeps would be the extension of the inlet around another angles.

thanks in advance!
Jonathan

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

FreeCad 3.png
FreeCad 3.png (104.49 KiB) Viewed 959 times
FreeCad 2.png
FreeCad 2.png (42.79 KiB) Viewed 959 times
FreeCad 1.png
FreeCad 1.png (41.52 KiB) Viewed 959 times
Last edited by Fawx on Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: PartDesign Sketch from Feature

Post by adrianinsaval »

please read the IMPORTANT information in the big banner above and post you full FreeCAD info. Also please provide a file with the issue, it's not clear to me what you are trying to do, how you are doing it or what is the issue.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Welcome to the forum. I think I made the inlet piece you want, but your description was a bit poor so I had to guess. I used Additive pipe and subtractive pipe in the part design workbench and I gave the sketches an angle. If the info I gave is not sufficient enough to understand the design please ask after studying
Inlet-Willem.FCStd
(50 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
it
Fawx

Post by Fawx »

Hi!

Thanks for replying that fast, and please excuse my mistakes made in the earlier post. I have added the information about FreeCad.
I have played around with some functions and almost got my inlet looking the way it should! There's still some problems though - I can't import it in Cura, neither with the 3 parts of the body separated nor connected via boolean operations. My Guess would be because of the unconnected parts of the body, resulting in me drawing close to the parts outline since I wasn't able to pick up the external geometry.
Furthermore I have to add an "indentation" and can't find the right tools to do so. By making another datum plane for the sketch I was able to cut away where it should be, but I could not use a sketch on this or another plane to extrude up to the tubes inner diameter to close it again.
Willem, thanks for the model! Additive and Subtractive Pipe don't seem as a viable option to me, since I have to add the "indentation".

I will add pictures of what I am trying to achieve as well as a .fcstd of my current try.
Test V4.FCStd
(134.41 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Test V4 indentation.FCStd
(183.38 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Sorry for my rusty english!!
In short, my three main questions are:
-How can I pick up external geometry to allow me creating a complicated, closed surface body?
-Was the splitting-up-things the problem when trying to import to a slicer for 3d printing?
-Whats the right tool to make the indentation you can see on the photo?

Thank you so much in advance!
fcf2.jpg
fcf2.jpg (53.52 KiB) Viewed 849 times
fcf1.jpeg
fcf1.jpeg (99.22 KiB) Viewed 849 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:idea:
Attachments
Capture du 2022-01-17 22-58-49.png
Capture du 2022-01-17 22-58-49.png (56.28 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Indentation_SHALM.FCStd
(117.53 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

played a bit with this as well, as pointed out by Shalmeneser - thickness does the trick.
one needs to choose if one goes with outward/inward thickness, affects the dimensions in the base sketches.
it also turns out that fc is on strike to do a thickness with more than 2 sections in a loft, at least I could not get fc to do that,
if that would have been possible, one could have settled with one loft for the whole pipe.
other than that it is of course easy to have a non working thickness/fillets with collapsed joins etc,
just to play around a bit with settings/dimensions and one typically figures out a combo that works.

have not bothered to make all of it to dimension, but all should be there to do it the way you intend.
it is all done without any datum planes, just fiddling with attachments.
Snip macro screenshot-764ff0.png
Snip macro screenshot-764ff0.png (61.84 KiB) Viewed 780 times
Attachments
Test V4 indentation alt.FCStd
(622.24 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Fawx

Post by Fawx »

Hello and thank you!!

I'm sorry for not replying so long, I have been very busy this past week and only got to continuing now.
Heda, your .fcstd was amazing - I had been able to create my own inlet, exactly the way I wanted it to be. Without dozens and dozens of datum planes and easily modifiable through the attachment details. Can't overemphasize how much that had helped. Also thank you to Shalmeneser.
It's great, now I've got the knowledge to make these things work out. Only thing that I still have to figure out is how to avoid two lofts referring to the same sketch being extruded and later exported with a slightly different shape.

Cheers and a wonderful weekend to y'all!
Jonathan

:D