Sketcher broken face

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DickHutchings

Re: Sketcher broken face

Post by DickHutchings »

I've made some progress on this thanks to all of your input.
1 I want to know how to move 1 body the face of another. The lever to the pocket of the clamp body.
2 Make a hole through the lever and through the body
3 Get rid of the white outline of the body
4 I need to make the other half so I need to make a mirrored reversed body with alignment holes. These 2 pieces will be glued together to make the upper clamp jaw.
Attachments
Clamp.png
Clamp.png (18.3 KiB) Viewed 808 times
clamp2.FCStd
(92.71 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

DickHutchings wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:47 am I've made some progress on this thanks to all of your input.
1 I want to know how to move 1 body the face of another. The lever to the pocket of the clamp body.
The simplest way is to use the Manipulator workbench. Then you may have to adjust the position with the transform tool.
Since you are working in Part design, make the hole in the lever (as you've done). Toggle Body to be the active body. Hide the Pad of Body001, unhide sketch Lever. Select the circle and create a subshapbinder. Now Pocket the subshapebinder, with the Pocket set to through all.
The white line is the sketch named Sketch. Select it and use the space bar to toggle it hidden/unhidden.
4 I need to make the other half so I need to make a mirrored reversed body with alignment holes. These 2 pieces will be glued together to make the upper clamp jaw.
Use Part workbench Mirror.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
DickHutchings

Post by DickHutchings »

drmacro wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:25 pm
DickHutchings wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:47 am I've made some progress on this thanks to all of your input.
The simplest way is to use the Manipulator workbench. Then you may have to adjust the position with the transform tool.

I don't have Manipulator but I managed to move the plane anyway.
Since you are working in Part design, make the hole in the lever (as you've done). Toggle Body to be the active body. Hide the Pad of Body001, unhide sketch Lever. Select the circle and create a subshapbinder. Now Pocket the subshapebinder, with the Pocket set to through all.

I can't get this to work as you described. The make subshapebinder is greyed out.
The white line is the sketch named Sketch. Select it and use the space bar to toggle it hidden/unhidden.

This worked, thank you
Use Part workbench Mirror.

I haven't tried this yet.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

DickHutchings wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:47 pm ...
I don't have Manipulator but I managed to move the plane anyway.
Use the Addon manager to add it.

I can't get this to work as you described. The make subshapebinder is greyed out.
  1. in Part design, make the hole in the lever (as you've done)
  2. Hide the Pad of Body001, unhide sketch Lever (this is so you can select the circle)
  3. Toggle Body to be the active body
  4. Select the circle
  5. create a subshapbinder
  6. Pocket set to through all
Peek 2022-01-18 11-51.gif
Peek 2022-01-18 11-51.gif (388.11 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
DickHutchings

Post by DickHutchings »

Thanx, got that working.
Now I want to rotate the lever using the offset hole as the axis so I can see how far the lower lip will be pushed.
Attachments
LEVER.png
LEVER.png (41.86 KiB) Viewed 675 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

DickHutchings wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:40 am Now I want to rotate the lever using the offset hole as the axis so I can see how far the lower lip will be pushed.
Then you must not constrain the center of the right arc vertical over the pivot. Add a lenth constrant instead and add another one from the end of the arc.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DickHutchings

Post by DickHutchings »

Thanks, that's done. I think it's time for the bottom Jaw.