Partdesign Tolerance (padding / cut)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Partdesign Tolerance (padding / cut)

Post by chrisb »

MRx wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:52 pm You should be able to reproduce that easily by setting the tolerance of vertexes relatively high and create a pocket operation where the vertexes will intercept.
If it is so easy, why on earth don't you do it and upload a file?? Without the FreeCAD history it is completely pointless to say that FreeCAD or something else is to blame or should be fixed.

Usually it's the bloody newbies who don't understand why they should help the helpers, but here it's a newbie who nailed it down:
montyl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:33 pm 1. Attach a file. If your drawing is too large to attach or contains proprietary information, copy and paste the minimal amount of the drawing into a new file and attach that.

2. Paste your "Help: About / Copy to clipboard" at the end of your post. The issue may have already been addressed by a newer version than you're running, a previous version works correctly (indicating a bug has crept in), or you've got a minor error in your drawing.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MRx

Post by MRx »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:07 pm
MRx wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:52 pm You should be able to reproduce that easily by setting the tolerance of vertexes relatively high and create a pocket operation where the vertexes will intercept.
If it is so easy, why on earth don't you do it and upload a file?? Without the FreeCAD history it is completely pointless to say that FreeCAD or something else is to blame or should be fixed.

Usually it's the bloody newbies who don't understand why they should help the helpers, but here it's a newbie who nailed it down:
montyl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:33 pm 1. Attach a file. If your drawing is too large to attach or contains proprietary information, copy and paste the minimal amount of the drawing into a new file and attach that.

2. Paste your "Help: About / Copy to clipboard" at the end of your post. The issue may have already been addressed by a newer version than you're running, a previous version works correctly (indicating a bug has crept in), or you've got a minor error in your drawing.
Chrisb, I acknowledge your support but please let's end this.

The problem is solved and the conclusion of it is that FreeCAD should do some checks to not let the user run into such issues because a regular user won't be able to fix such a tolerance issue via the Gui. (and that was also why I was very angry about FreeCAD because I spent months on modelling parts and the end was a damaged object?)

Even if the object is fine - if the tolerance value is too high it might cause a followup issue later.
I scanned my entire object and I was surprised which values I got from it... two vertexes even had a tolerance >1

Now that this problem is known I can even pay attention from time to time to check which operations might cause such an issue

If you want to play around with it, set the tolerance of a vertex of a cube to 1 (at least a bit smaller than a nearby vertex). Afterwards try to pad a face which borders this vertex to something that is a little bit smaller than the tolerance. The outcome will be that padding will not work.
Now with cutting there are other fatal issues once the dead zone (where two vertexes intersect with their tolerances) is entered
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

And how do you expect us to do any improvement if you refuse to give us an example of how to run into this problem in the GUI... If you refuse to give us data to properly identify the problem how do you expect a fix? Keeping a bug to yourself because you found a workaround is not particularly helpful. Anyways, the discussion is fragmented in a dozen different threads...
for others interested, here's another comment of mine about the issue: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 12#p562912
As you can see another consequence of not providing a file is that I have to guess were the tolerance is being changed. I can't know if the culprit is PD, Part or the user doing silly stuff... Plus the info given is conflicting, somewhere he says having a high tolerance is the problem, but then says setting it to 0.001 fixed it, while PD's default seems to be 1e-7 and then in the post linked gives an example were rising the tolerance fixed the problem...
OP likes to complain but is trying his hardest to make it difficult for helpers to trouble shoot and try to understand the issue
MRx

Post by MRx »

I have fully explained the problem in FreeCAD so please stop writing about that I should upload a file in this thread.

I was working on that issue for like a week, I have uploaded isolated fragments in the other threads which step by step lead to the solution.
At that point I did not know that all issues lead to a single issue -- the tolerance settings.

It's absolutely worthless to have such a discussion after I have posted the details about the problem in FreeCAD.
Read my posts in detail and you can create as many objects which have the same issue as you want. My object is fixed I won't go back damaging again (because it's fixed) and uploading it...
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

This might very well also happen on padding operations.
adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:04 pm This is irrelevant because the software would not do this on it's own so it's not actionable. We need specific operations that lead to a problem.
MRx

Post by MRx »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:06 pm
This might very well also happen on padding operations.
adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:04 pm This is irrelevant because the software would not do this on it's own so it's not actionable. We need specific operations that lead to a problem.
Yes you are wrong here. Something did set the tolerance on my object to all kind of weird numbers (weird I consider especially 0.18 - 1.x)
As mentioned I have it on my radar now to check the tolerance values from time to time to see which operations are altering them.

>> We need specific operations that lead to a problem.

on that one of course I agree, but another part is disaster recovery which should also be taken care about. Users should be able to fix it via the Gui.
If someone enters such an issue (and a tolerance issue can be a long term follow up issue) he will not be able to recover his object via the Gui in FreeCAD -- yes I was in that situation.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

MRx wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:09 pm Yes you are wrong here. Something did set the tolerance on my object to all kind of weird numbers (weird I consider especially 0.18 - 1.x)
No with python commands it doesn't. If this is indeed something fixable we need to identify the operations that raise the tolerance because that's the root cause, not raise the tolerance trough python, that would lead to nothing.
but another part is disaster recovery which should also be taken care about. Users should be able to fix it via the Gui.
If someone enters such an issue (and a tolerance issue can be a long term follow up issue) he will not be able to recover his object via the Gui in FreeCAD -- yes I was in that situation.
That's what we have the object history for, if you choose to delete it, that's kinda your problem. FreeCAD is not made for that.
Also notice that you also won't benefit in your past models from improvements that might be done to the tools (or in OCCT), you're stuck with whatever result they gave you at the time of creation.
MRx wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:04 pm I have fully explained the problem in FreeCAD so please stop writing about that I should upload a file in this thread.
you and I have very different definitions of "fully explained"
I was working on that issue for like a week, I have uploaded isolated fragments in the other threads which step by step lead to the solution.
At that point I did not know that all issues lead to a single issue -- the tolerance settings.
of course we are supposed to look through pages and pages of different threads... that's what we get paid for right?

anyways... I did not find a place were the tolerance is set in PD pocket, this might be related. I'll try to investigate later. Useful data from you would be nice but once again it seems you are a lost cause.
MRx

Post by MRx »

I have spent weeks trying to fix and recover my object from those issues - and yes I'm paying myself for doing that - no one is paying me for that that word censored took the time from me and my family.

And the next thing someone would tell is hey it's open source, yes it is and it comes with very wrong promises FreeCAD advertises to be a good parametric modelling software --- I agree it is not bad but this bug is an epic failure leading the user to absolute destruction in some cases - as it did for me.
And people like you first of all blame the users anyway instead of trying to understand what the problem is. Even the first post about the intersecting holes a year ago no one ever posted a real explanation for it, so honestly do you really think someone would have helped me with this issue?
Change your attitude man.

I'm not setting higher tolerance values I'm setting lower tolerance values (instead 0.16 I set it to 0.05 at the moment, and I will try to go down more) to fix my problems.
I wrote several times why I removed the history... but you don't seem to get it you still think I did that just for fun, and I'm a user with a wrong behaviour. Basically just because you're to stubborn to understand that loading the project with all the existing history would have took hours.
The loading time issue is mostly fixed here things have changed within the last week and I will see if I can stop deleting the history from the object (at the moment it looks good but I don't plan to many changes on this object anymore).
Last edited by MRx on Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

MRx wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:47 pm Sorry but you're an idiot.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... CONDUCT.md
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Have it your way. I'm the only one here that is actually trying to understand the issue and that followed up on it but you choose to ignore all requests and all feedback. You can delete the history all you want to speed up your load time, but then be aware of the consequences and stop complaining because you can't easily fix and recompute your model.
Also FreeCAD doesn't advertise anything, last time I checked the marketing department was a little short on personnel, I heard there would be a 500% budget increase in that department this year though so 5 times 0 !! it's gonna get crazy ;)
And you are in no position to criticize the parametric capabilities of FreeCAD since you purposefully avoid using them. And don't complain that you don't get help when you are the most uncooperative here. I'm done here. Happy to get into the investigating the issue (if there is one) if someone reasonable unlike this guy gets into it.