Partdesign Tolerance (padding / cut)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
montyl

Re: Partdesign Tolerance (padding / cut)

Post by montyl »

MRx, if you're interested in having someone give you insight about what is happening, why, how to fix or avoid it, or even if it is a bug, you should:

1. Attach a file. If your drawing is too large to attach or contains proprietary information, copy and paste the minimal amount of the drawing into a new file and attach that.

2. Paste your "Help: About / Copy to clipboard" at the end of your post. The issue may have already been addressed by a newer version than you're running, a previous version works correctly (indicating a bug has crept in), or you've got a minor error in your drawing.

We'll never know or learn from what you're doing if you don't. :)

Monty
A casual FreeCAD user that often finds himself in awe of others accomplishments.
MRx

Post by MRx »

The problem is already solved I'm writing about the conclusion.

You should be able to reproduce that easily by setting the tolerance of vertexes relatively high and create a pocket operation where the vertexes will intercept.
This might very well also happen on padding operations.

This problem is very dangerous for FreeCAD especially for people who try to design something serious for a longer time and start to depend on this or loose months of work.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

I had not seen any way to manually enter that tolerance (except as you showed in the Python console). Nor had any broken model with such errors when validating geometry. So the way that result occurred is more interesting, which you did not explain (or did I missed that?). By providing a file, which can result in such broken geometry you would help identify the cause and maybe somebody could fix it.
MRx

Post by MRx »

Certainly it would be interesting to see how it has happened but I don't know that - and I had to clear the history regularly because a single BREP file took 50 seconds to load (and if you know any change will create a brep file ... 20 changes = 20*50 seconds to load).
As I wrote it all end up in a disaster on my side.
1. removing all bspline curved surfaces improved the loading time (a little bit)
2. downgrading / upgrading removed dependencies it seems and fixed the last step, now the model takes 15 seconds to load, which is absolutely okay.

after those 2 steps all that was left was the tolerance issue.

During modelling I only used features available in PartDesign and Part (no other workbench), due to the long loading time I used to refine the output regularly as well.
There are many curved faces in my main object, possibly something's going wrong with boolean operations and that one.

At least now that I know about it I will be able to trace it back if it happens in the future before clearing the history.
Last edited by MRx on Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Do not bother about him. He have often enough that he do not know how to use a parametric CAD.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

user1234 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:08 pm Do not bother about him. He have often enough proven, that he does not know how to use a parametric CAD.
edit: blue
MRx

Post by MRx »

user1234 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:16 pm
user1234 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:08 pm Do not bother about him. He have often enough proven, that he does not know how to use a parametric CAD.
edit: blue
If you want to practice your english, look for another thread thanks. There's still something you could improve.

I'm using FreeCAD on a daily basis for nearly 2 years, and also do some CNC work with it, however the Path WB is irrelevant in that case since it doesn't alter the main object.
Last edited by MRx on Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Sorry, typing in a phone and get a call inbetween. But anyway, if you get so low, that you are arguing about the text and not the context, then i (or more) know, which kind of type you are.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

MRx wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:32 pm Did you understand the issue which I have posted?
That's exactly my point, my crystal ball is out of commission so I'm unable to understand unless you provide relevant information... "I used tools from Part Design" is too broad to be useful. You say you cleared history so it seems you are unable to... geez who would have thought that removing the history would be a hindrance when trying to correct something... if only someone had told you before that it's not a good method...
Yeah now that user1234 mentioned it I vaguely recall other conversations like this, looks like a lost cause...
MRx

Post by MRx »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:27 pm
MRx wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:32 pm Did you understand the issue which I have posted?
That's exactly my point, my crystal ball is out of commission so I'm unable to understand unless you provide relevant information... "I used tools from Part Design" is too broad to be useful. You say you cleared history so it seems you are unable to... geez who would have thought that removing the history would be a hindrance when trying to correct something... if only someone had told you before that it's not a good method...
Yeah now that user1234 mentioned it I vaguely recall other conversations like this, looks like a lost cause...
Seriously, do you understand what I have written? Do you keep working on objects where a single change in history will take 50 seconds to load? This object was purely created in the Partdesign Workbench back then, small modifications here, small modifications there and on a bigger object and it will end up like that.

It makes me feel like writing messages to fools ... who in the world will keep a long history which keeps loading for a few hours for a single object? Get serious.
Removing the history will decrease the loading time appropriately MINUS 50 seconds in my case per removed BREP file from the FCStd file.
Every single modification within the PartDesign tree is creating such a nice modified BREP copy.
(this is what creating a simple copy of the object and removing the PartDesign Object will do - it will remove the corresponding BREP files).
Due to the TNP problem it doesn't make much sense to keep a large history either.

What I'm writing about is about disaster recovery and avoiding disasters to happen in the first place by notifying the user that some issues have happened.
Of course it would be nice to know where the high tolerance values came from, but finally the Pocket / padding operations will use those numbers and run straight into the knife with it and they will cause the object to blow up.