[BUG] DraftWB/Upgrade / Part.makeShell (tolerance issue?)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MRx

[BUG] DraftWB/Upgrade / Part.makeShell (tolerance issue?)

Post by MRx »

Does anyone know where those tolerances can be set?

Partdesigner created a misaligned padding for this, so I modelled it in Draft. I don't see this as an error (as it is right now) but the problem is that it will lead to follow up problems if I continue to work on that part.
tolerance.png
tolerance.png (3.97 KiB) Viewed 928 times
geometrycheck.png
geometrycheck.png (37.05 KiB) Viewed 928 times

This bug is introduced by Upgrade in the draft workbench (I'm still investigating)

This issue also refers to:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65406
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65413

sorry for opening multiple threads - I was not sure how to classify those issues but it seems like they all suffer the same root issue -- crazy high tolerance which messes up things
Attachments
selfintersect.FCStd
(9.73 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by MRx on Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
MRx

Re: [BUG] Part Geometry Check (tolerance issue?)

Post by MRx »

ok it seems like the tolerance of the vertexes is indeed very high, this object was created either in the sketcher or draft workbench (I tried all the approaches already).
I'm only using the draft workbench as a last resort when freecad / opencascade messed up something. Normally I'm using the Part / Part Design workbench.

Now Tolerance(0) on the vertexes is too high - it's introduced by "upgrade" this can be considered a bug in the Draft workbench the maximum allowed tolerance should be settable by the user otherwise the user ends up in a fixing loop... the user fixes one face and the other face will be modified by the upgrade feature and the tolerance will be set crazy high.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [BUG] DraftWB/Upgrade / Part.makeShell (tolerance issue?)

Post by chrisb »

MRx wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:16 am This issue also refers to:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65406
I still think you did something wrong, and asked you already in the other topic to upload a file. You didn't do it there, you didn't upload anything usable here. Yet you are expecting help :evil: .
I remade the critical part of your file. It shows no issues.
Attachments
selfintersect_cb.FCStd
(12.02 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MRx

Post by MRx »

You are remaking it, I do not want to remake everything (if I really have to do that I will not use FreeCAD / OpenCascade anymore because it's wasting an extreme amount of time),
I'm looking into a way to fix existing elements here.

Bottom line is that I should never have had any of those issues because I was only using the PartDesign and Part workbench, I'm only using the draft workbench for fixing the failure that has been generated...
Honestly I have spent weeks on fixing all that mess already, finally at least to a certain workable degree..

The tolerance should have never jumped to:

When I have recreated that face sewing took the neighbour tolerance and forced it over the vertexes of the particular edges of the face (because in the freecad code the sewing tolerance is set to 0 (in makeshell) - which according to the OpenCascade API will do that).

The function that is introducing this tolerance in the current freecad code is the root cause of many problems, if you don't care about the geometry checker you will not even notice that - and I'm sure many users out there have those issues silently.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

I cannot understand anything of MRX problem. Pictures doesn't help, comments doesn't help, good will doesn't help.