Unable to create path on outside faces - SOLVED!!

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dkolars

Unable to create path on outside faces - SOLVED!!

Post by dkolars »

Making this:
Screenshot_2022-01-18_13-34-10.png
Screenshot_2022-01-18_13-34-10.png (326.98 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
I've selected all the interior holes, set cutting instructions, no problem.
Select all the outside faces, click "Apply", get this message:
<Path.Area> Area.cpp(1312): project failed
<Path.Area> Area.cpp(1454): empty projection
PathProfile.ERROR: Unable to create path for face(s).
list index out of range
I have done these operations on many designs and never had this problem. Seaching the forum, internet, etc yields no explanation of "list index out of range", likewise with the Area.cpp messages.

I find it hard to imagine that there are too many faces selected (?), and can think of nothing else that is different between this object and others I've made.

Next step would be (to me) to select the pockets on the edge as one job, and the outer faces as the 3rd & final job.
File:
Spindle - Hexagons.FCStd
(182.01 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Last edited by dkolars on Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git) AppImage
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Unable to create path on outside faces

Post by GeneFC »

I am not sure just what is happening, but selecting all those faces is certainly much more complicated than necessary. Simply select two adjacent edges along the top face and then use the "Finish Selecting Loop" tool. Proceed with Profile and select your desired parameters. You will need to set the Final Depth.

I tried it on your hexagon object and it worked fine.

Gene
dkolars

Post by dkolars »

GeneFC wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:24 pm I am not sure just what is happening, but selecting all those faces is certainly much more complicated than necessary. Simply select two adjacent edges along the top face and then use the "Finish Selecting Loop" tool. Proceed with Profile and select your desired parameters. You will need to set the Final Depth.

I tried it on your hexagon object and it worked fine.

Gene
OMG... THANK YOU!!!

I have been looking for this for months... asked on the forum how to connect all faces, lines, whatever, to be able to select with one click, etc etc. No hints, so, have been clicking on each outer face for every thing I've drawn, then adding to the "Base Geometry" of the Profile.

Did take me 3x to figure out the order of operations before it worked and didn't crash the program:

1) Path workbench - select "Profile entire model, selected face(s)..."
2) Mark two connecting lines, click the "Complete Loop selection..." All the lines on a face of the outer edge are selected!
3) Open the new Profile that was created by above, and treat as any other Profile. BUT, there are no items in the "Base Geometry" of the Profile.

THIS will be an incredible time saver!!! And aggravation easer as well, I'm sure!! I would never have guessed that selecting lines would allow the faces to be cut...

Thanks again!!! DK
64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git) AppImage
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Unable to create path on outside faces - SOLVED!!

Post by GeneFC »

I believe Russ4262 has said that selecting the top edge and then adjusting the final depth often works better than trying to select the vertical faces when using Profile. I have not tested enough to say one way or the other, but I tend to follow his advice.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

dkolars wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:58 pm I have been looking for this for months...
Hmm; better not forget your own topics too quickly, I told you already last friday about this.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.