Symmetry Does not work properly

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
janhamm

Symmetry Does not work properly

Post by janhamm »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24267 +99 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: Branch_0.19.3
Hash: 6530e364184ce05ccff39501e175cf2237e6ee4b
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: English/South Africa (en_ZA)

Good day,
I have installed FreeCAD 0.19.3 and I have been working through the tutorial videos.
In tutorial video 2, where a rectangle is drawn, made into a square and placed into the centre of the drawing with the Symmetry button, all is OK with no constraints.
However when I insert a slot and use the Symmerty button with the x axis, it does not move and gives me a message "Sketch contains redundant constraints (click to select)" "Please remove the following redundant constraint: 17.
I do not understand this as I was following the video step by step.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Regards
Jan Hamman
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Symmetry Does not work properly

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There are no official videos, and assuming that you talk about youtube, there are more bad than good videos.

The situation you are talking about is explained in hte document in my signature, actually it was one of the main reasons to write it. You should use the symmetry on diagonal points of the rectangle to center it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

janhamm wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:49 pm However when I insert a slot and use the Symmerty button with the x axis, it does not move and gives me a message "Sketch contains redundant constraints (click to select)" "Please remove the following redundant constraint: 17.
My guess would be you don't have Auto remove redundants (constraints) ticked as per:

AutoRemoveRedundants.jpg
AutoRemoveRedundants.jpg (22.45 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
janhamm

Post by janhamm »

Hi,
WOW! Great stuff.
Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
Solved my problem.
This is what I call excellent service.
Thanks again.
Regards
Jan
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

janhamm wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:04 am Solved my problem.
This is what I call excellent service.
Not a problem, I've asked to see if I can the settings ticked by default for new users as this seems an unnecessary learning step IMHO.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Syres wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:22 am Not a problem, I've asked to see if I can the settings ticked by default for new users as this seems an unnecessary learning step IMHO.
Sorry to contradict, but it is a necessary learning step to know how constraining works. It shouldn't have anything arbitrary.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Syres wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:22 am Not a problem, I've asked to see if I can the settings ticked by default for new users as this seems an unnecessary learning step IMHO.
I think that ease the process to learn FreeCAD is good thing, but making it "fail proof" is not simple, adding some "predefined thicked options" presume that you have had a "serious analysis" of the "most used options" in "generic modeling".

From the phrase above, you will easily see that "serious analysis" and "generic modeling" are even not too easy to define and have a "big amount" of personal preferences.

If there will be some "standard test" or "standard CAD model" as benchmark , it will be more easy to say "these options will work for many of the standard models".

I think that adding to FreeCAD wiki something similar to the "OCCT User Guide" part, found under Sweeping: Prism, Revolution and Pipe around the middle of the document will be a great improvement, as these things are often misunderstood from newbies.

https://dev.opencascade.org/doc/occt-7. ... algos.html

But as very often many people ask only for good video tutrials, or came here complaining that FreeCAD is difficult after having seen a video made for 0.16 and "pretend" that is working on "0.19" or newer is almost an utopia.

But as usual, it is a personal thinking.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/