Adding windows and doors with sketch

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
deffo

Adding windows and doors with sketch

Post by deffo »

First of all, hello to everyone!

I'm looking for tips and tricks how to make custom design windows. I discovered FreeCAD like week ago and started with looking youtube tutorial videos. I managed to make 3d window using part design. Then I managed to make little garage and used compunds to make windows and doors but it was kind of frustrating. Then I looked tutorial how to make windows using sketch. I messed couple of hours to make window using sketch on wall but it didnt came out like I wanted to. I couldnt make it work and I cant understand what I do wrong. I wanted to make window that has 4 small squares upper part and 2 larger squares lower part of the window. Somehow it messed up and made random faces. Can someone suggest some videos or tell me how is the easiest and simplest way. some pictures what i have achieved so far in a week or so.

cheers!
Attachments
suur aken 2.pdf
kind of window im looking to add
(47.87 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
gar maja.pdf
windows i made with using compunds
(103.18 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
deffo

Re: Adding windows and doors with sketch

Post by deffo »

I made some pictures of the problem. when I double click on window icon in combo view then there are not enough wires to make it properly.
Attachments
akna raam sketch vale.pdf
sketch of a window
(180.76 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
akna joonis sketch.pdf
making random faces
(193.18 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Your sketch must not contain any T-connections.
Tutorial: Tutorial_custom_placing_of_windows_and_doors.

Also it is easier to help if you provide FreeCAD files and information about the FreeCAD version you use:
http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264
deffo

Post by deffo »

Roy_043 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:42 am Your sketch must not contain any T-connections.
Tutorial: Tutorial_custom_placing_of_windows_and_doors.

Also it is easier to help if you provide FreeCAD files and information about the FreeCAD version you use:
http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264
All sketch lines have to be separated too? if I overlap one square line with another square line then it doesnt add new wire ?
if I make sketch and use it in part design to make window with pad it works differently than using sketch on wall and add arc window ?
I hope you understand me :)
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Arch_Window needs to be able to identify closed loops in the sketch. This means that you cannot have T-connections or endpoints that connect to more than one other endpoint. Outlines cannot share edges.

Please look at the default windows that the command creates.
Attachments
window-gap.png
window-gap.png (4.57 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
deffo

Post by deffo »

Roy_043 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:38 am Arch_Window needs to be able to identify closed loops in the sketch. This means that you cannot have T-connections or endpoints that connect to more than one other endpoint. Outlines cannot share edges.

Please look at the default windows that the command creates.
Thank you for the help! Im already making new sketch and trying it out but now I have new problem. I have marked all the constraints on sketch and i have final 2 degrees to make. I try to fix to external geometry line but for some reason sketch lines are shifting out. Cant figure out where it is not holding together :roll: I know it looks kind of a mess but still learning and dont know how to use all tools to make it simpler.
Attachments
aken vol2.pdf
lines shifted
(165.35 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
aken vol1.pdf
2 degrees left
(169.46 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:o :shock: :?
no pdf, but image directly in the post
and freecad file ?
deffo

Post by deffo »

I add the freecad file. Now when I managed to make proper sketch there is another problem. For some reason window doesnt cut a hole in the wall.
Attachments
garaaz pluss maja.FCStd
(695.51 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by deffo on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

In the Data properties of the Window click in the Hosts field.
Press the "..." button.
Select the wall.

BTW:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264 wrote:Open the Help --> About FreeCAD menu ... Please do not attach a screen capture instead of posting the Help > About FreeCAD information from the clipboard
deffo

Post by deffo »

Roy_043 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:25 pm In the Data properties of the Window click in the Hosts field.
Press the "..." button.
Select the wall.

BTW:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264 wrote:Open the Help --> About FreeCAD menu ... Please do not attach a screen capture instead of posting the Help > About FreeCAD information from the clipboard
Thanks mate! It worked. I tuned all kinds of properties earlier but now i know what to look for.