Best Workbench or other App for simple 3-D rendering?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Fran_iii

Best Workbench or other App for simple 3-D rendering?

Post by Fran_iii »

Not ready to do a full on Part Design and Assembly... I don't think.

I first need to create a simple 3-D concept illustration for a presentation.
The "drawing" will have several objects shown as how the final thing thing will look...
and it would be nice to be able to look at it from various angles.
It is just to get the idea across in a meeting.

Is there a FreeCad workbench for doing this quickly and easily?
(I've only worked with the Part Design, Part, and Sketcher so far... so I'm still learning.)

Or should I consider another application?

Thanks for any suggestions.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Best Workbench or other App for simple 3-D rendering?

Post by drmacro »

Well, there is a new render workbench (if you try, make sure it it the newer one not the deprecated one).

TBH, IMO, it just hasn't matured enough to make it my go to.

I typically go to Blender. It has way more mature rendering capabilities.

I'll model in FreeCAD then use the Blender FreeCAD import addon. So, it's a direct import of the FreeCAD file.

You can search these forums for info about getting the Blender addon setup. But even collada or, at worst, stl export from FreeCAD will work in Blender.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Fran_iii

Post by Fran_iii »

Thanks for the quick response. You said "Blender addon setup"
Does that mean there is a Blender "addon" for FreeCad...
Or do I need to download and install Blender?
Or what?
Thanks again.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Install Blender.

Then search here to find the link to the addon, for Blender, that allows it to import FreeCAD files.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

I completely agree with @drmacro on using Blender (in particular Cycles render engine within Blender for phototrealism) but this is a perfect example why we ask to include your full FreeCAD info, I can't even tell which OS you're using. This is the output we need to make things easier to assist you:

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.27129 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: fcaa698be874323ae26b20d7adf92214989c2d38
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

The AddOn from @s-light (https://github.com/s-light/io_import_fcstd) requires the Python version of both applications to match. In the most recent Blender versions (2.93 and above if memory serves) use Python 3.9.x which doesn't work with my FreeCAD therefore I have to use a Conda build in order to get round this issue or use an (slightly) older version of Blender which uses an older version of Python to allow the two applications to 'talk' to each other. Otherwise forget the AddOn and you'll have to use the old fashioned export Obj or Dae file from FreeCAD and import into Blender.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Syres wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:58 am I completely agree with @drmacro on using Blender (in particular Cycles render engine within Blender for phototrealism) but this is a perfect example why we ask to include your full FreeCAD info, I can't even tell which OS you're using. This is the output we need to make things easier to assist you:

Version: 0.20.27129 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: fcaa698be874323ae26b20d7adf92214989c2d38
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

The AddOn from @s-light (https://github.com/s-light/io_import_fcstd) requires the Python version of both applications to match. In the most recent Blender versions (2.93 and above if memory serves) use Python 3.9.x which doesn't work with my FreeCAD therefore I have to use a Conda build in order to get round this issue or use an (slightly) older version of Blender which uses an older version of Python to allow the two applications to 'talk' to each other. Otherwise forget the AddOn and you'll have to use the old fashioned export Obj or Dae file from FreeCAD and import into Blender.
I got the archived Blender 2.8, the Pyhon matches, import, save, then switch to the latest Blender. (Though, I have to admit, I'm more comfortable with the old Blender UI)
Fran_iii

Post by Fran_iii »

Thanks folks!

FYI, I once put my system info in the signature block and was told by someone to take it out. At least I think it was this forum. Was I misinformed?
Or should I just type it in with each post?

Regardless here is my system info.

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz 3.06 GHz
RAM: 12 GB
FreeCAD v19 rev 24291 (Git)

Thanks again for the help. I'll get Blender going today... I hope.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

No version in the signature because tomorrow ...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Fran_iii wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:02 pm I once put my system info in the signature block and was told by someone to take it out. At least I think it was this forum. Was I misinformed?
That was here. The signature is not stored with thepost it shows always the current entry. If you update your signature it will put old posts out of context.
Or should I just type it in with each post?
No. But with every topic is a good idea. You didn't really succeed in giving what we expect. follow the IMPORTANT link above and learn what is better for the helpers and easier for you.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Fran_iii wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:02 pm Or should I just type it in with each post?

Regardless here is my system info.

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz 3.06 GHz
RAM: 12 GB
FreeCAD v19 rev 24291 (Git)
No with every post rather every time you start a thread asking for help on using the software or when reporting a problem. Adding to the signature is not useful because it can change at any time without the rest knowing and it's updated in all your posts, who knows if the info there it's still true tomorrow? Aand the info you posted is not really what we ask for, it's what you get when you go to help->about FreeCAD->copy to clipboard that we want, here an example:
Version: 0.20.26761 (Git)
Python version: 3.8.12
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: Spanish/Paraguay (es_PY)
notice how it gives relevant information about the FreeCAD version, the OS and the more important libraries. Processor type and RAM amount are normally irrelevant (not always, but often enough that we don't ask everyone to post that, unlike the full FreeCAD info)