Reusing sketches, parts/bodies etc.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Reusing sketches, parts/bodies etc.

Post by Shalmeneser »

:idea:
Attachments
testpiece_1_SHALM.FCStd
(62.12 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
MarkMLl

Post by MarkMLl »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:48 pm If you really want to make a single sketch and Pad/Pocket with sub-elements of it, it can be done.

It is just not the normal paradigm of Part Design.

See the WIreFilter macro in the Addon manager.

Using multi sketches, IMO, provides an easier to follow feature tree, makes sketches simpler (which is a goal, since simple sketches are easier constrain and easier to modify and less prone to error.)

And, this is my preferred workflow. 8-)
Thanks: I'll check, but I don't want to dig myself into any deeper holes than I'm in already (I was serious about my age-related comments in OP).

MarkMLl
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

MarkMLl wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 pm ...

Thanks: I'll check, but I don't want to dig myself into any deeper holes than I'm in already (I was serious about my age-related comments in OP).

MarkMLl
Hmm....well, I still own a ticket for Woodstock. :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
MarkMLl

Post by MarkMLl »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:54 pm Hmm....well, I still own a ticket for Woodstock. :mrgreen:
:-) A friend handled entertainment at his uni in the '60s, and got let down by the Beatles who'd unexpectedly made it big. He was offered the Rolling Stones as an alternative but turned them down as unknown newcomers...

Thinking about the age-related thing, it occurs to me that genuinely-senior academics and engineers with impressive track records were much more likely to say "why am I having problems doing this" and then /listen/ than to blow their top. The /really/ obnoxious individuals were the ex-forces types who fancied themselves as leaders and inspiring teachers.

MarkMLl
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

MarkMLl wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:27 pm
drmacro wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:54 pm Hmm....well, I still own a ticket for Woodstock. :mrgreen:
:-) A friend handled entertainment at his uni in the '60s, and got let down by the Beatles who'd unexpectedly made it big. He was offered the Rolling Stones as an alternative but turned them down as unknown newcomers...

Thinking about the age-related thing, it occurs to me that genuinely-senior academics and engineers with impressive track records were much more likely to say "why am I having problems doing this" and then /listen/ than to blow their top. The /really/ obnoxious individuals were the ex-forces types who fancied themselves as leaders and inspiring teachers.

MarkMLl
A friend of mine just passed away, he was on the sound crew at Shea stadium in 1965 for the Beatles show.

And I agree with your observations. And have collected plenty of anecdotes over the years. 8-)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

MarkMLl wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 pm I'll check, but I don't want to dig myself into any deeper holes
If the different parts of the sketch can be selected as individual closed contours you can use SubShapeBinder to create separate faces from them and Pad/Pocket/... those instead.