Reusing sketches, parts/bodies etc.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Reusing sketches, parts/bodies etc.

Post by chrisb »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:01 pm I would recommand to draw the baïonnette cut sketch to be the nearest of vertical axis to minimize radial deformation.
This could indeed be improved, or brought to perfection by using three pockets - or one loft for an improved, yet not optimal solution because the circular cutout would no longer yield a cylindrical hole.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Moving objects or Part containers is done with the Transform tool, a right click on a tree selection.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Attached pic, the left cutout done with a sketch without perpendicular punch cuts. The right cut-out; Since the sketch originates from the origin the cutout will follow the radius, more complicated but more perfect in the model.
Attachments
ring44.png
ring44.png (344.08 KiB) Viewed 938 times
MarkMLl

Post by MarkMLl »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:16 am Indeed a bit late, because I have already deleted the file where I had applied the polar pattern :cry: .
No problem, I appreciate that it's my responsibility to work through things and experiment... obviously noting the points that you and others have made about my lousy technique :-)
The meaning of the central prism is not quite clear to me. It would have been better to attach the Sketch003 to a main plane. That makes the model more robust and you don't need so many sketches and features, two is enough.
The central prism is specifically because my main question is not so much how to draw a decent bayonet coupling, but how to reuse entities e.g. by applying them to different faces. /That/ is my problem, although I obviously note the points about constructing stuff as a tree rather than being excessively linear.

Thanks for the example, I'll investigate.

MarkMLl
MarkMLl

Post by MarkMLl »

drmacro wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:21 am Have you read and worked the examples on this page?: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Part_and_PartDesign

The examples down the page create identical models exclusively in Part workbench and Part Design workbench.
Thanks, I'll follow up.

MarkMLl
MarkMLl

Post by MarkMLl »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:01 pm I would recommand to draw the baïonnette cut sketch to be the nearest of vertical axis to minimize radial deformation.
In my own defence (and with only slight irritation :-) I have already made the point repeatedly that this is an /example/ illustrating my limited understanding rather than being a drawing intended for fabrication. And I /did/ go to the trouble of carefully orientating the vertical slot on a radius since that is the feature that has to be precisely aligned for correct operation: for the sake of argument, the detent might be a pressed-in ball so the orientation of the notch is comparatively unimportant.

MarkMLl
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

MarkMLl wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:07 pm In my own defence (and with only slight irritation :-)
I am more than slightly irritated.

You got numerous bits of help promptly from several people, and then you take 3 or 4 days to respond. Take whatever time you need, but don't complain about the folks who are trying to help.

Sheesh!! :x

Gene
MarkMLl

Post by MarkMLl »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:07 pm You got numerous bits of help promptly from several people, and then you take 3 or 4 days to respond. Take whatever time you need, but don't complain about the folks who are trying to help.
My apologies. As I said at the start of the thread I am /not/ enjoying this because of the fact that I now find myself being "the older guy who doesn't get it", which is why I am perhaps not as regularly engaged as I should be.

But I also know that I am by no means alone in having these problems... but I tend to be tenacious/stubborn and I am the first to admit that the issues are down to my lack of understanding rather than to the software per se.

As I also said, I chose my drawing specifically to illustrate the problem rather than intending it to be a functional part. But I /did/ try to get the geometry and relative positioning right.

MarkMLl
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

In this forum, we are used to answer non-asked questions :lol:
MarkMLl

Post by MarkMLl »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:27 pm In this forum, we are used to answer non-asked questions :lol:
I'm working at it, honest :-)