BRep_API: command not done trying to create a thickness

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
judge

BRep_API: command not done trying to create a thickness

Post by judge »

I am trying to hollow out a fairly simple shape, but I get 'BRep_API: command not done'. I have seen one post about this, but I don't see a solution there. Any help would be appreciated.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24367 (Git)
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.9.7
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: C/Default (C)
Attachments
numitron_body.FCStd
(45.46 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
heda
Veteran

Re: BRep_API: command not done trying to create a thickness

Post by heda »

it helps not having artefacts like this.
Snip macro screenshot-16ea7c.png
Snip macro screenshot-16ea7c.png (9.47 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
which is one thing behind a failed geo.check.
Snip macro screenshot-05aa96.png
Snip macro screenshot-05aa96.png (36.91 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
keeping things simple works just fine.
Attachments
numitron_body_mod.FCStd
(65.36 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
judge

Post by judge »

Thanks. Is the result of this stable? Everything I have seen warns against using decorations early in the process, and this is just the basic shape that I want to make further modifications to - which is why I was trying to use a subtractive pipe to sculpt the edges.

In the case of the artifact, does subtractive pipe have a problem with a closed path? Just trying to get a handle on how I can take a basic shape and sculpt it.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

I would say as stable as it ever can be...
dunno why the ad.pipe has the artefact, will leave that for someone else to delve into if they desire.

with 3 features, what is early / late in the process? but yes, in general later is better for decorations

a bit hard to just imagine what you really want to model - just try and when you are stuck - ask on that.
learning the ins and outs of the geometric kernel is best done by poking around and see what works and not.
judge

Post by judge »

For sure it is a learning process :) . Apparently the cause of the artifact was using point-to-line tangents in the base sketch, rather than point-to-point tangents - I found a discussion here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 3&p=486053. I switch the sketch to use point-to-point tangents and everything works fine. Thanks for you help.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Subtractive Pipe ?
Attachments
numitron_body_SHALM.FCStd
(36.54 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
kevinz

Post by kevinz »

Hello, all,

Here's another example of the same error, generated when trying to create a thickness. I've attached my file. it was generated by creating one-quarter of the body, then using MultiTransform to mirror it about two planes (see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 71#p655071). I'm trying to hollow it out, selecting the bottom (largest) plane for the Thickness tool.

I'm sure that the problem is similar to the previous topics in this thread, but I don't know how to find it. The small cutouts along the top edge may be causing it. I can't find anything called 'geo.check' in the FreeCAD documentation.

How can problems like this be found and solved? Are there any diagnostics that can be run? The Report View doesn't point to anything in particular.

Thanks for your help and advice.

-Kevin

P.S. Found Part->Check Geometry and ran it on the whole Body. No errors or invalid shapes found.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.31513 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: b2ab8edba4bfd71681e639f8c3f1105066bed4c7
Python 3.10.8, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods:
* Help 1.0.3
Attachments
Shamisen Bridge v2_hollowed.FCStd
(41.43 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kevinz wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:12 pm How can problems like this be found and solved? Are there any diagnostics that can be run?
There is not much that can be done, as the issues come from the depths of the third party geometric kernel. You can always try different options and often a very small value for thickness helps to identify the problem. Yours works e.g. with
0.5mm + JoinType Intersection or
0.5mm + Inwards

As Thickness is subject to the TNP, I don't like to use it on steps down the modeling tree, where things have become complicated. If I ever use it, it is at the beginning of a body, and if it fails, I don't bother for long, but look for a different solution.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Thickness has no problem with a more simple object : no holes and no small sides.
Attachments
Shamisen Bridge _SHALM.FCStd
(20.58 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Capture d’écran 2023-01-22 121709.jpg
Capture d’écran 2023-01-22 121709.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 884 times
rek

Post by rek »

i noticed that part design thickness doesn't seem to like to execute on a part design cube with fillets on say, the top as well as the sides, but not the bottom. don't know what to infer from that, only an observation.