no diameter/radius measurement?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jdomechanical

no diameter/radius measurement?

Post by jdomechanical »

am I crazy, there is no diameter/radius measurement tool?? I see there is a macro - but I don't want a line left over, i want to measure 50 holes in 5 minutes...

I am a professional CAD designer, I use fairly high end CAD at work - Freecad for home use - and I can't really imagine doing much of anything without a simple tool like this?! is there a reason it doesn't exist??!!
Grub

Re: no diameter/radius measurement?

Post by Grub »

Try "Measure" tool in "Assembly4" Work Bench :
Capture d’écran (95).png
Capture d’écran (95).png (96.25 KiB) Viewed 1263 times

You can customize a toolbar to access it from any workbench.
jdomechanical

Post by jdomechanical »

forgive me, that's within Freecad? I don't see an "assembly 4" workbench...
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

You will find assembly4 in Tools -> Addon Manager.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

And Manipulator workbench Caliper tool.

And TechDraw workbench.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jdomechanical

Post by jdomechanical »

I open these tools, and they won't let me select any edges... this is very frustrating... measuring a hole should take 2 seconds...

edit, i got it to select an edge, but won't display the dimension - using manipulator...

edit 2: i didn't realize i had to make the model 'selectable' sorry!!
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

jdomechanical wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:51 pm I open these tools, and they won't let me select any edges... this is very frustrating... measuring a hole should take 2 seconds...

edit, i got it to select an edge, but won't display the dimension - using manipulator...

edit 2: i didn't realize i had to make the model 'selectable' sorry!!
In many cases, when selecting occluded edges, it is just easier to select Draw style wireframe. Select as needed and change back to "as is" when done.

You can also check Preferences for edge width and vertex size.

You can also check the Properties View tab to set Point size and Line width per object.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jdomechanical

Post by jdomechanical »

yeah, I had to select my model, which was .stp I imported from a design I made in NX, and switch selectable from 'false' to 'true'

there are a lot of fiddly little in between steps I am not used to here... maybe because of my industry, but I find it a lot more useful to measure a diameter instead of a radius, I like to run analysis tools to check radii when I can - this method is specific to Cimatron, which I use daily...
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

With FreeCAD's python scripting support you can create custom tools for yourself without too much difficulty. To find the diameter of a selected edge, select the edge, press Ctrl+Shift+P. In the python console enter:

Code: Select all

elt.Curve.Radius*2

Note: elt (for element) might get renamed to sub (for subobject) soon in 0.20 development cycle. There is a PR pending to do this.

Look also at a macro called SimpleProperties in the addon manager, macros section.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

tray Macro_FCInfo Image

replace the lines for display radius and diameter (respect the indentation)

by

self.lineEdit_5b.setText(str(Around(rayonObjet * float(uniteM))) + " " + uniteMs + (" (dia. " + str(Around(rayonObjet * float(uniteM) * 2.0)) + " " + uniteMs + ")"))

EDIT 14/02/2022:11h00 Paris , macro upgraded actual version: 1.26 Last modified: 2022/02/06

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.