[fixed] [regression]Pocket missing Symmetric option

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: [fixed] [regression]Pocket missing Symmetric option

Post by openBrain »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:56 pm Can I ask why the 200mb size increase :o and why keep the previous build there
Did you compare a 7Z and an EXE :?:
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

openBrain wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:59 pm Did you compare a 7Z and an EXE :?:
:oops: I didn't notice that. But then isn't a 7zip better for weekly releases than an installer, it would be a little annoying going through the whole install process every time, unzipping is annoying too but at least a little more straightforward no?
Interestingly looking at the stable release both the 7zip and exe weight the same but are also 560mb, so the question is then, how was the previous one (26858) almost 200mb smaller :?:
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:56 pm Can I ask why the 200mb size increase :o and why keep the previous build there
My builds are a fully functional FreeCAD, so it includes all templates etc. The weekly builds do purposely not include them.
My builds are also not just ZIPs but an installer that takes care of the file extensions, registry settings etc. Some people don't need or like this. They can use the ZIPs.
@looo's Conda build system is currently broken, and to provide at least for Win some builds, I stepped in for now.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:15 pm it would be a little annoying going through the whole install process every time
I don't agree, just run the installer this way:

Code: Select all

***.exe /S /D=C:\A path to FreeCAD with spaces
and you are done without any urther interaction.
If you don't need to change the install path, omit the /D flag.
If you need it for all users, add the /AllUsers flag.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:15 pm @looo's Conda build system is currently broken, and to provide at least for Win some builds, I stepped in for now.
I know, i meant the previous LP build 26858, didn't you also make that one?
uwestoehr wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:19 pm I don't agree, just run the installer this way:

Code: Select all

***.exe /S /D=C:\A path to FreeCAD with spaces
and you are done without any urther interaction.
If you don't need to change the install path, omit the /D flag.
If you need it for all users, add the /AllUsers flag.
Thanks, that can be a lot more convenient, can I pass an argument to not associate FCStd to this installation? I'll prefer to have them open by default on the stable release. Or does it just register the possibility of opening the files with the installation and you have to manually choose the default at file open? That would work too.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:02 pm I know, i meant the previous LP build 26858, didn't you also make that one?
As I wrote, this build is different. It is purposely not a fully functional installer. This build is provided by @looo.
adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:02 pm Thanks, that can be a lot more convenient, can I pass an argument to not associate FCStd to this installation?

No. Personally I set in Windows to open the *.FCSTD file type with FC 0.19.x and this setting is kept - when I install for all users since the admin-lever does not overwrite the user-level setting.

However, I can quickly provide a new build with an installer that by default does not set the *.FCStd type. I think this is even preferred since a test build should not gather the file type setting for the productive FreeCAD version.

Hmm, wait, I once started to provide the install for my colleagues and we use FC 0.20 already for productive usage (we need for example the new feature to create flat helices in PD). And for productive usage the file association must be set by the installer.

So the best is when @looo gets his build system work again. Then expert users can grab the ZIP, others the installer.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

No. Personally I set in Windows to open the *.FCSTD file type with FC 0.19.x and this setting is kept - when I install for all users since the admin-lever does not overwrite the user-level setting.
This is sufficient for me
Regarding the LP build, I'm almost certain looo doesn't make them, it's the conda builds that are automated and broken AFAIK. Perhaps its srogan? IIRC LP builds are manually done and uploaded. Anyways your main point is the same regardless of who did it.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I prefer not to install, so I just use 7-zip to extract the .exe file as if it were a .7z or .zip file. It works just fine. The extra size is probably due to not using 7z format.