Clone or Shapebinder of sketch to be referenced as external geometry?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lupin

Clone or Shapebinder of sketch to be referenced as external geometry?

Post by Lupin »

If I want to reference edges of a sketch in a different body as external geometry in a sketch, is there any reason not to just use a clone of the sketch added to the body? At least when I don't need the "trace support" (shapebinder) or "relative" (sub-object shapebinder) options? The clone also has the advantage that it can be moved around inside the body (normal shapebinder can't) or even "supported" by a feature of the body (can't be done with either shapebinder).

If none of these features are needed (just a plain reference to another sketch at the origin), is there any difference between picking one or the other?

It is sometimes a little bit confusing when there are different functions achieving very similar things and you can't tell which one is the "right" one.
bambuko
Veteran

Re: Clone or Shapebinder of sketch to be referenced as external geometry?

Post by bambuko »

subshape binder (green one) has placement property and can be moved?
I have used it to bind sketches.
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Lupin

Post by Lupin »

bambuko wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:38 pm subshape binder (green one) has placement property and can be moved?
Yes, as I said can't be done with the "normal" shapebinder (the blue one), but neither shapebinder (blue or green) can be mapped ("Support"/"Map Mode") onto a surface for example, but a clone can.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can use a clone. You should drag it into the body before mapping it to a surface inside its new home.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.