Proper order to make a hollow body, then split in halves to work on top/bottom.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Ank

Proper order to make a hollow body, then split in halves to work on top/bottom.

Post by Ank »

USB-PD-Heater-enclosure2.FCStd
(44.35 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
When I click Part, Thickness: I get this error: "Part::Thickness / Thickness: Links go out of the allowed scope"
Let's say the green surface if "top" and below it is the "bottom".

My goal is to make the padded solid hollow, - then split it into two halves, work on the "bottom" (adding PCB mounts) - and work on the "top" - adding opening for display/buttons.
I do not know if those split parts should then be different Bodies.

I made Sketch001 - if I select it and use [Part][make face from wires] I'll get a face that is outside the Body. If I then use [Part][Split][Slide to compounds] - then I get some result outside the body - that I can't work with anymore (due to "not in the active body").

What is the proper way of making "Pad" hollow, then splitting it into parts, so it can be worked on individually?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-01-23 19-23-05.png
Screenshot from 2022-01-23 19-23-05.png (41.2 KiB) Viewed 848 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Proper order to make a hollow body, then split in halves to work on top/bottom.

Post by chrisb »

There is a thickness tool in PartDesign, which you should use for PartDesign objects.

To split in halves you go indeed to Part workbench and do a SliceApart on the whole body.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Proper order to make a hollow body, then split in halves to work on top/bottom.

Post by Shalmeneser »

Why do you want to split ?
Just clone it.

Try to avoid b-spline when arcs can do the job.
Attachments
USB-PD-Heater-enclosure2_SHALM.FCStd
(80.82 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Capture d’écran 2022-01-23 205358.png
Capture d’écran 2022-01-23 205358.png (69.67 KiB) Viewed 806 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Probably the best way for you to go is to first do the Slice Part in Part workbench on the Body (selecting the Body in the tree view) and using Part::Plane positioned at z = 7 so it's half the way up the body. Then you get the 2 halves to work with. Select each one by one and create a new body from each, so now you have 2 new bodies. You can then do the thickness hopefully to create the hollow interiors. Thickness is quite finicky and does not always work. If it fails you can use a pocket with a new sketch instead.
Ank

Post by Ank »

Thank you all !
@Shalmenester : I'll try to reverse engineer and replicate your result while learning. Thanks for the neat result.